Number of widgets in Web dashoard on Plus plan

I have the Plus plan and the documentation suggests it has 40 widgets which I take to mean it has 40 different widgets. When I try to create a web dashboard there are only 17 or 18 widgets on the left hand side bar where widgets are selected, am I missing something, like a way of accessing more widgets?
or have I got the numbers wrong! I have tried scrolling up and down the list of widgets.

It means that you can use those available widget types multiple times - for example 40 LEDs on one dashboard if you wish. That would be using-up your 40 widgets with just one widget type.

Also, there are more widget types available in the mobile dashboard.

Pete.

I guess that is 40 per device then because I have defined two of my allowed 10 devices and on the edit screen it shows I have used 2 of 80 widgets.

The limits are per template, not per device.

Pete.

Hi Peter, Thanks again. Per template is fine for me. I am starting to enjoy using Blynk IOT again but keep coming across issues that donā€™t appear to be in the documents, or maybe I didnā€™t look properly.

What sort of issues?

Pete,

1 Like

Issues may not be a good choice of word, perhaps I should have said ā€œthings I havenā€™t found the answer toā€. Iā€™ll post here if I get stuck but I prefer a Google search first as I often find additional information over and above my inital search item.

Searching the forum is probably best, especially if you sort the results by latest answer.

I tried to summarise the main differences in this topicā€¦

Pete.

Hi Pete, The FAQ above is a very useful document, if I had found it sooner it would have answered some of the questions I posted here. A suggestion might be to create a specific topic for newcomers to Blynk IOT where FAQā€™s related specifically to newcomer questions were located, just a thought.
I read aout ā€˜invalidate dataā€™ and that sounds useful, is is possible to use the invalidate function to trigger an event / notification in Blynk?

The problem with that is that it requires newcomers to look for that document, and that just doesnā€™t happen. The topic I linked to was pinned globally, so should be the first thing people see, but obviously that didnā€™t work for you.

You can use automations to trigger a notification if a a variable value meets a particular criteria, but Iā€™m not really sure if thatā€™s what youā€™re asking.

Pete.

Hi Pete, the specific situation I was thinking about is on a device that sends a heartbeat every 15 minutes, if the heartbeat hasnā€™t incremented from the previous value received 15 minutes earlier then the sending device has stopped / failed. I currently do the check in Node-RED in a function that isnā€™t very elegant and I will send an event / notification to Blynk once I set it up. I just wondered if there was a better way to do things. At the moment I send the error notifcation to my phone via the pushover app but I want to respond to the error notification and effect a reset of the device. Ideally I could do with sorting out sending a reset by http because I am not certain what causes it to stop sending heartbeats by MQTT. I havenā€™t done much, to date, with http though.

If youā€™re using Node-Red then itā€™s easy.
Use the node-red-contrib-timeout node and set a timeout node to 15 minutes.
If it outputs the unsafe message (change this to something meaningful) then send your notification.

The timeout mode is very useful and I use it to monitor the status of all of my devices. I send the current RSSI value on an MQTT topic every 5 seconds. I set the timeout to 15 seconds, so if it misses 3 messages then it shows the device as offline.

Pete.

Hi Pete, I didnā€™t know about the timeout node as I am still learning Node-Red. I was using the trigger node but Iā€™ll now try the timeout node. I am doing basically the same as you but I send the heartbeat every 15 minutes as it gives me an indication of up time. I am trying to narrow down if the ESP32 has stoppped, MQTT failed or what else is happening, LCD goes blank too. It sometimes runs for months with no issues. I might put an external watchdog on that gets reset in the control loop, if it doesnā€™t reset it will reboot the ESP and that will send an MQTT enabled message which I can log.

I have a rather complex standard MQTT sketch which sends out an RSSI heartbeat, uptime, WiFi reconnection count, MQTT reconnection count and other useful infoā€¦

This device has been up for 89 days an has connected to WiFi once and MQTT 33 times. The MQTT reconnection count is high because Iā€™ve been doing some maintenance on my server. These sort of stats are useful to know what sort of issues your device is facing.

This is how I typically do the on/offline status stuff, controlling an LED widget in Blynkā€¦

Some of my devices (not this, because its a Shelly) are Wemos D1 Miniā€™s with a homemade hardware watchdog board attachedā€¦

Pete.

Hi Pete, you certainly do have a complex MQTT sketch, fortunately I know how to do all of that. I appreciate the watchdog link you shared, thats a nice project. I was thinking of using a 7555 timer but I guess the uC is a more flexible option. I have a very eclectic mix of ESP8266 devices but Wemos D1 mini is my favourite but I am too mean to throw the others out. I donā€™t have any Shelleyā€™s, I have a few 9 or 10, Sonoff devices that I donā€™t use either because I can build better and safer devices myself.
I have got my test flow with timeout node running next step is to inhibit it from outputting too many notifications, 1 per hour will do from NR. Like you I use flags a lot in my ESP code as bit fields, unions and structures so I can have 16 flags in one word, but I donā€™t know if there is a method of using flags in NR. I plan to set a timer for a hour before I re-enable the event to Blynk.

I guess you run Blynk Pro FOC because of your support work, is that correct?

You can use the built-in Delay node for thatā€¦

You can use Flow or Global variables in NR if you want, I use them quite a bit in my flows.

Not really needed if you use the Delay node. I tend to use variables if I want to write a function that has multiple inputs - which NR doesnā€™t allow - so instead when the function is triggered i read the values from my stored variables.

Thereā€™s a copy of my standard MQTT sketch on my GitHub page. Itā€™s rather an old version, but it might give you a few ideas/pointers.

Yes, Blynk are kind enough to give the forum regulars a free Plus or Pro subscription.

Pete,

Hi Peter, I think the free copy is richly deserved. Thank you for the node information and the location of your MQTT sketch. Iā€™ll try the delay node today.

1 Like