No Support and Left high and dry

Far from it, I often disagree with how they do things and voice those opinions when it’s appropriate.
However, I’ve managed software development projects and teams in the past, and have a good understanding of the realities of software startup companies.
Blynk made some mistakes when they first developed and launched their legacy product, and one of those mistakes was the way in which they made the local server available without restrictions.
This has led to people abusing that facility and using it for business purposes rather than paying for a business account.
People ask if Blynk will re-introduce the legacy app in a paid way, or whether they will make the app source code available. The reality is that it’s not feasible for a company like Blynk to do parallel development on the IoT and Legacy systems, and releasing their intellectual property rights for the app would be madness.
Blynk’s strategy has to be to encourage as many people to migrate from Legacy to IoT as quickly as possible, and to make it as difficult as possible for people using Legacy local server for illegal business use.
The OP in this topic has openly admitted that he is using his local server in a way that it wasn’t intended to be, and complained s vociferously when his clients find life difficult.

Blynk as a company, and the Blynk IoT product are in a place where they have the scope to move forward and succeed. Crying over previous strategic mistakes, or advocating for backward steps or financially unviable billing strategies are simply a waste of time and effort - they aren’t going to happen. But, if people want to spend their time doing that is fine by me, provided that they follow the forum rules in the process.
But, people shouldn’t be surprised if I voice my opinion on how unrealistic these ideas are, and how they would be better-off having a reality check and moving forward with the IoT product or jumping ship and looking for an alternative platform.

Pete.

5 Likes

I fully understand Blynk’s point of view, and I guess they are doing what is right for them. As I’m using their system as a hobbyist I’m not totally happy with their loT.
I intend, for the time being, to stick with the legacy Blynk on a local server.

1 Like

Same, as I run IoT on a boat, I can’t guarantee internet connectivity all the time, so a local server is ideal for me. Blynk Libraries are also a quick way to get devices up and running, and the mobile App easy to set up.

I am looking at alternatives, but I put a lot of energy into Blynk (no pun intended) … it is hard to change.

Local servers may come in the future but it will not be a free thing line it was in the legacy. It will be having a subscription i guess.
For remote places this is really required.

In your situation, I’d migrate towards an MQTT & Node-Red based system, running on a local MQTT/Node-Red server with Blynk Legacy running alongside it.
This preserves your legacy app functionality, but gives you an alterative way of interacting with your devices (which is via MQTT messages).
This also allows you to use the (fairly rudimentary) Node-Red dashboard if you wish.

Most of all, it gives you an easier migration route to a different front-end system if an when you need to make that transition. Every home automation system out there that is worth consideration is MQTT compliant, and many use Node-Red as their rules engine.

My HA systems run on MQTT and Node-Red, with Blynk as my mobile front-end.

Pete.

1 Like

Thank you Pete!

1 Like

Pete, thanks for explaining your role. I always wondered if you were the US representative of Blynk. Then I learned you were in GB. Now I know that you are an independent voice, doing a good job for all of us. Thanks for all your tips and tricks that you post.

4 Likes