New version of Blynk Platform. Sign up for Beta

The problem is that we don’t have any information since 1st of May , date of the announcement :shushing_face:
And the old platform, is now obsolete compare to others.
So what can we do? wait and wait? move alone?

Sorry all for the silence. We were super busy with deliveries for our clients.
Here is the latest news:

• New version is 80% ready
  • There are already real users using it every day. So we can say it is ready
  • There are few things that block us from the launch - Billing and Theme/Styling. We haven’t start work on it yet. However, we can launch Beta without Billing, but Theme must be done for sure. It will take at least 1 month
  • We will try to run the Beta ASAP after we have the Theme, even we currently have a lot of the development going on for our existing clients

Thanks for the patience :grinning:, I know it is hard.

7 Likes

Thanks for the update. :+1:t3: “Always late but worth the wait” :joy::rofl::joy:

Hi @Dmitriy. You know that I’m a great fan of Blynk, but I have to say that the communication from you guys about Blynk 2.0 has been very poor.
On 13th June @Pavel sent an email that said…

It’s almost ready for the first Beta users, but we need some time to go through the documentation and onboarding materials. We are working full speed on that. Sorry for keeping you waiting.

That’s the last email we’ve seen on the subject.

In August you said…

5 days ago, in response to a suggestion to add calculations within the app you said…

Which prompted a request for information about the other features that will be included in the new version, but that prompted a reply that the documentation wasn’t released yet.

I appreciate that you guys are busy, and that paying customers have to take priority. But, I think you were right with what you said in August - users of the free version of Blynk ought to be able to get details of the new features that have been implemented in the new version.

If I was a potential business customer and I saw frequent “it’s almost ready, it will be here soon” comments on this forum then I wouldn’t be impressed. I’d regard that sort of research as my ‘due diligence’ process and to be honest it would probably turn me away from the company, or at the very least it would make me very cautious about progressing without cast iron guarantees and penalty clauses.

If Blynk staff took a different approach, with regular updates about features that had been implemented and things that were in the pipeline, along with reasons for delays or changes in direction, then I think you’d come across as being much more believable. At the same time you’d be whetting the appetite and piquing the interest of existing free users.

It sounds like you’re at the point where a list of features could be published, so why not do that?

Pete.

4 Likes

the communication from you guys about Blynk 2.0 has been very poor.

Agree. In a recent half a year - every sprint for our team was a deadline for the new and new features.

It sounds like you’re at the point where a list of features could be published, so why not do that?

We haven’t even started a documentation :frowning:. This is all we have at the moment - https://github.com/blynkkk/blynkkk.github.io/tree/master/new/en.

But idea is good, it shouldn’t take much time. I’ll try to make a basic list.

3 Likes

Made a brief list. This is of course not all, but the key features:

• Web dashboard with Label, Switch, Slider and Graph widgets for every device. Same as we have in the app but on the web

• Device metadata - custom properties for every device. For example, timezone of the device or manufacturer. Could be added to any device and filled by end user or owner of the device

• Permission based control. Every user now has a role. Every role has a permission that can control any aspect of the platform. For example, allow to share the device, allow to perform control actions over device, allow to create the device, etc

• User/organization/device management by invites or by registration flow

• Device events - now specific events for the device could be manged and controlled via special object - event. the most basic example is online/offline event. You can add own events and cover them with notifications and view on the web or mobile in a separate view. Another example of this event could be OTA udpate

• Datastreams (virtual pin, for example - is the sub type of the datastream). Datastream now has dozens of settings like type, units, formatting, min/max, default value. It is now global setting and doesn’t depend on the widget. Here is some cool features:

• Invalidate - allows to set some value after certain period of inactivity
    • Confirmation - allows to define the state of the widget based on feedback from the device. For example, you click on the button and it changes it state if response from the hardware comes or resets to the previous value if no response from the hardware in a certain period of time
  • OTA with detailed reports and detailed events per device

• Log events for every device - ability to see any action over certain device (who, when and from where did something over the device)

• Log events for every user - ability to see any action of any user (any user you have access to)

• Search across everything - little search engine within the system

• Very powerful rule engine (no UI yet, but rules are already configured and used for some clients) with formulas, inheritance and cross product/device communication

• Analytic chart - allows to analyze the raw data of the device in the web without need in the external tools

• Analytics across organizations/products/users/devices

• Provisioning out of the box. We expect it to be the default

• Fixed eventor, now works on Android/iOS and works across all devices + improved timers and sunset/sunrise events. No need in Time Input anymore

• Groups

7 Likes

That’s exiting! I’m sure you’ll put out soon a similar 2 columns table showing the ‘Paid’ and ‘Free’ version. There will be a free version for hobbyists like me, right?

Thanks for that @Dmitriy.
Any changes to the app UI such as increased granularity, more resizing options, ability to programmatically enable/disable control widgets etc etc ?

Pete.

Yes, with some limitations.

Yes. Work has being started on that.

No.

ability to programmatically enable/disable control widgets

You can control that via permissions. No programming option for that.

If I well understand, new app UI is the same than the old ?
no custom button, no resize option, no font option ?
and what about landscape ? :thinking:

All widgets now have a new property isDisabled which can be controlled from hardware vie SetProperty()

2 Likes

Oh yeah… Forgot about it.

Similar, but not the same.

There were only few widgets added: switch button, new rgb, text widget. We mostly restructured old one and 90% of the work was done for Device tiles widget and groups.

1 Like

I have been using blynk for several years and have spent a lot of time on the coding. Its been hard work to get this far. I have a whole home automation system, alarm etc based on blynk (local server) . But from what I have seen, the delays, costs involved, re-coding projects (its not going to be plug and play) , no local server, limitations to hobbyists and issues related to the “new” blynk, I finally decided to jump ship. From the looks of it, the commercial user is blynk’s main focus now, while the hobbyists and home user community are the people that made blynk what it is. I am under no circumstances going to spend $99pm (converterd to South African currency R1500 when the average salary in S.A. is R15k pm) for basic limited functionality. Sad, but rather make the jump now then have to do it down the road anycase. Thanks blynk…but you are on your own.

1 Like

Where is 99$ comes from?

for basic limited functionality

What is basic limited functionality?

From blynk website.

Free online version.

It is for business owners.

Limitated Blynk version - is all features of other platforms :).

2 Likes

Is the current local Blynk platform limited?

from here

" OTA

Blynk also supports over the air updates for - ESP8266, NodeMCU and SparkFun Blynk boards. OTA supported only for the private servers and for the paid customers for now."

1 Like

It’s not limited.

Then its what im trying to say all along. The current local server is not limited, yet the new service/blynk will be limited. Hence you will be forced to purchase a fully functional version.

Also want to say. I dont want to be stuck with a system that will have no future development. Maintenance on the current system means nothing if the system becomes outdated with global trends, technology and standards. I mean, Windows XP works…will you use it though? I loved and still love Blynk very much, but I see no future thats going to be cheap. Sorry guys.

PS. I have started the migration process to home assistant and the functionality is… well, lets put it this way, im smiling broadly. Learning curve has been 5 hours to get home assistant up and running and adding my trial esp8266 nodemcu flashed with tasmota. There is some coding involved but not nearly as much as with Blynk.

1 Like