New Local Server 0.41.4-> Java8 died?

Hi @Dmitriy!
Just one question about the Local Server and java8… Today I realize (only 17 days late…:blush:) that there’s NOT java8 version for the new server 0.41.4…

Should I understand java8 is definetly died?

Thanks in advance!!

I also noticed the missing java8 version… so took the plunge and upgraded my RPi java version like this…

wget https://github.com/bell-sw/Liberica/releases/download/11.0.2/bellsoft-jdk11.0.2-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.deb

sudo apt-get install ./bellsoft-jdk11.0.2-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.deb

And then simply used the existing server file… seems to work just fine for me.

3 Likes

I found the site I used for those directions…

http://hirt.se/blog/?p=1116

1 Like

Thanks @Gunner!
I remember I installed that software and found several issues… not sure about them but if I’m not wrong it was something related the e-mail with the token (easy to solve…) or things like that.

I’ll look for that posts

I found the backup I did time ago!!! Well done psoro!! lol :wink:

:star_struck:

I don’t really see an answer to the original question.
Is Java 8 No longer supported ?

If not officially… I suspect it is well on the way to being dropped.

Until the Devs chime in, and considering how easy it is to install a functioning Java11 version, I suggest just go for the update.

There is a “java8” branch in the source tree with its own pom.xml, so, i guess you could easily compile with Maven

It is not dead. I just skipped it because it was very small release. Released new one with java8.

4 Likes

Can I ask about the update process for non-unix (i.e. raspberry pi) ?

IMPORTANT Server should be always updated before you update Blynk App. To update your server to a newer version you would need to kill old process and start a new one.*
WARNING! Please do not revert your server to lower versions. You may loose all of your data.*

1. I take it that every time a new phone app is released, there is also a server update released to match?

2. Why cannot the server be downgraded without risking data loss?

3. What are the snapshots for?

Thank you

Thank You !!

Phew! That’s good news. I’d hate to have to install a version that’s not maintained in the official repos. Then it’d be up to me to remember to upgrade them for security updates, instead of just having the “unattended-upgrades” doing it for me.

For those who aren’t aware of this package I highly recommend installing it. Just “sudo apt install unattended-upgrades”. Done. The default configuration is to automatically install only security related packages but it can be configured to install all packages if that is what you want.

Does that include Blynk server and libraries?

Could you please elaborate?
Thanks

This tip is valid only if you’re running Blynk on a Debian based Linux system (like a Rasberry Pi running Raspbian). This installs a background service that automatically installs software updates (similarly as running apt-get update and apt-get upgrade). apt is just a system utility script that can be used where you would use apt-get.

More info here: UnattendedUpgrades - Debian Wiki

Hi @ristomatti,
Many thanks for the information!, it could be useful for me due to my Local Server ( Orange Pi Zero) is running Debian.
Thanks again!

@psoro, will you elaborate on the “easy to solve” email token issue? What is the fix for this?

Hi @Cemtes,
The “easy to solve” solution is as simple as copy the token and send it to yourself via email using Gmail or Outlook…
I’m sorry if you expected something better… :man_facepalming:

Ahh, that makes sense, and I agree, it’s easy enough to do. I don’t really care if the email function doesn’t work. I don’t understand enough about Java and certificates to know if the email issue is the only limitation, or if the email is just one symptom of a bigger problem that is going to cause more issues down the road with other Blynk features.