New Blynk local server / agent

Hello,

There is something I’m curious about. Maybe your target audience is not end users and you have such a service to corporate companies. Possibility to set up local server which was in the old version but not now… What if something happens to the internet? Even if it’s not the same as before, shouldn’t there be an agent that will at least make the system work? that we can install on the raspberry pi will sync our projects as long as there is internet?

You can try FreeRTOS. No matter whether there is an internet connection or not, FreeRTOS code will keep running.

It’s not very relevant to what you’re saying. What’s the point of it running on its own without getting the data it needs to get from the server? Especially if Esp restarts when there is no internet… it will not be able to access the information of any variable.

SPIFFS or LittleFS will be handy in such situations.
You can try your luck with Node-RED if you would like to build your own local server.

I think @brsglrx is looking to demonstrate interactive app to device functionality with Blynk, so he doesn’t have any useable options unless he can arrange internet access at the location where the demo is happening.

Pete.

1 Like

Yes, it receives a lot of data, especially time information, from the server. clock information can be taken care of but it doesn’t make much sense when I can’t get other data. so it would be great if it kept the data of our own projects instead of installing the whole server with the old logic.

I guess it depends what exactly you want to achieve.

It’s fairly clear that releasing the legacy local server code was a mistake by Blynk, as it allowed people to (illegally) use the local server for commercial use rather than having a commercial subscription with Blynk.

Blynk do have a commercial “on premise” IoT local server solution available for business subscribers (at an additional cost), but they aren’t likely to make this type of thing available to “hobby” users simply because it’s open to abuse. If Blynk do eventually launch a self-managed local server option in future I’d expect that it will require a licence and occasional checks (via an internet connection) to ensure that the licence hasn’t expired.

The other thing to think about is the fact that the Blynk server is now MUCH more complex than it was for Legacy, as it also serves-up the web console web pages as well as doing the stuff that the legacy server did.

I use a system which allows excellent off-line functionality by running a Node-Red and MQTT server on a Raspberry Pi. My devices don’t run any Blynk code, they run MQTT code which allows them to communicate with my MQTT server across my local network. If the internet connection is working (which in my case it is about 99.999% of the time) then Node-Red talks to Blynk and I have 2-way control via the Blynk app .
But, if the internet goes down then automated control of my devices continues (because Node-Red acts as my rules engine) and I still a have manual control of my devices by sending MQTT commands to them via the Node-Red dashboard or via an MQTT app.

Pete.

For people in our position, I can understand why such a feature is not available in the new version. I imagined a service where a copy of the information was kept rather than a new local server. (we will not be able to change anything, we will only define it as the server) But as you said, it can be used for bad purposes by ensuring that it is not online after completing the project. For this, it makes sense to have to look at the license/account from time to time. I’m not saying it should be free, having such a feature for paid users will pave the way for users who can’t spare time for NodeRed. I guess we can’t talk about simplicity and quick adaptation when NodeRed gets involved.