Need Some Site Guidance

I used Blynk 2-3 years ago, but deviated from all IoT and am now returning to Blynk and have found things are quite different. I have dozens (sarcasm) of new questions, but don’t want to create new topics in attempts to address each, most of which are code related. Back then, Blynk had a Docs section or wiki of sorts that related all of the widgets to applicable code that would aid in code building and syntax, but now it seems we no longer have access to such information, at least not that I can find and I have been searching for days.

Will someone kindly point me in the correct direction to a resource page to get reacquainted with Blynk code? TYIA

Hey there,

First of all you should read the documentation
https://docs.blynk.io/en/

I’m asking for a page that I can go to every time I wish to clear up my confusion about a line of code. Are you saying I must go through that gauntlet every time? Is there no Docs section like there was 3 years ago?

So are you saying that the Widgets section of the documentation isn’t what you’re looking for?..

https://docs.blynk.io/en/blynk.apps/widgets

The Legacy documentation is here…

and I think you’ll find that the new IoT documentation is actually structured in a very similar way, and is actually much easier to use as it has a search facility that was missing from the old documentation.

If this isn’t what you’re looking for them maybe you could be more specific about they types of issues that you’re trying to find answers for.

Pete.

2 Likes

The Widgets section is definitely better than what I’ve found myself, so thank you for that and another thanks for the Legacy page link! Though I disagree with your assessment between the 2. I like the legacy page better because it is more friendly to novice coders such as myself and the lack of searchability is more than made up for with the scrollable links in the left pane as well as Ctrl/F functions on all windows PCs.

My whole point was to avoid asking newb questions and to do my own diligence, so once again, thank you for both the links you shared!

1 Like

Don’t forget about the search function on the forum. There is a ton of information available here, covering most topics.

1 Like

Well, the link to the Legacy documentation is in the first paragraph of the new documentation page, and Widgets section is easy enough to navigate to, but glad you now have something that seems to help you along the way.

The search function on this forum is also very handy, especially if you order the results by the most recent responses - that way you’ll find questions that relate to the new IoT version of Blynk.

Pete.

1 Like

Blockquote

Respectfully, I am just returning to Blynk after years of no coding exposure and due to the changes to Blynk, I am a bit overwhelmed and did not know that I should have known that the Widgets section is where all of the Docs section info is now located. Also, seeing that there is a major difference between old Blynk and new Blynk, I didn’t think investigating Legacy Docs would prove fruitful, so I mentally looked right past that and produced in the direction that the overall page structure beckoned me to follow, ie into the Quickstart.

I agree that the Legacy documentation isn’t the best place to start (although it does still have its uses), I included it as a comparison of the contents and structure - which to my mid is not that dissimilar to the new documentation - minus the search capability).

It’s just that your comment that…

implies that the data you are looking for is kept in some closely guarded vault which required Indiana Jones type skills to find, when in fact it is linked from the top of this forum as well as from the Blynk IoT web console.

The biggest change within IoT (assuming that you’re not using Edgent provisioning and Blynk.Air OTA) is that you now need to create datastrams and define the min/max values. These default to 0/1 for Float and Integer variable types, and if you want to work with values outside oi this range then you need to set sensible min/max values - otherwise your data will be rejected and your widgets wont display any values.

If you have Legacy code licking around then it’s actually quite easy to convert it to IoT in most cases.

Pete.

It was only meant to imply that I was not able to successfully locate the info that I sought after several attempts. I did not mean to offend you and am humbly grateful that you pointed me in the correct direction. Thank you again!