Multiple Devices - Easiest way to use Auth tokens

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I am not the most technical and am hoping for a easy understanding of the best way to achieve what I’m looking for.

The situation is the person doing the firmware is not physically close to me. They will be testing using their own Auth token. When he shares the final code with me, and I build my own version of the device, what is the best way to have this work with minimal tinkering of the code?

Is there away to use the existing Auth token?

If I personally build 10pcs of the device and want to have each one connected, again can I do this without changing the Auth token in the code?

If not, it’s not the end of the world of course, but it would make life easier.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

The Auth code is linked to the account and the server. So if using the same Server then as long as you and your programmer use the same account, you can work with the same device together, each with your own App, even physically apart… of course only the one looking at the device will see anything physically linked to it.

If your programmer just makes and tests the code on their device/account, then sends you the code for you to use on your own device/account, then all you need to do is generate a new Auth code in the App project at your end, and replace that Auth code into the sketch code before flashing it to the device.

Much will depend on what you are doing with each device… are they 10 separate entities that just happen to do the same thing, for 10 different people? Then each person will need their own account, and a generated Auth code entered into the sketch before flashed to the device. One way of accomplishing this is via WiFi Provisioning… search this forum for more info about that.

@Gunner thank you for the reply.

Understood about changing the Auth code. That’s what I thought would be needed, but wanted to confirm.

As for the 10 devices. The current situation would be 10 identical devices, doing the same thing, all being used by myself. So one account.

I will look into Wifi Provisioning as well.

Thank you.

Then depending of application, you can have each one running the same Auth code… effectively each one being treated by the App project as if it was the only one.

Or you can use one project and 10 different devices in that one project, all interacting with the App, but still separately assignable for GPIO etc. using device selector

Sooo many options :slight_smile:

please note that using the same token on multiple devices it is possible but not recommended.

@Gunner thanks very much for your help. I’m looking into the provisioning. I’m planning to do a paid plan eventually, but right now just testing. From what I’ve read on here it’s possible to test the provisioning. I’ve found this link on github, is it correct?

For the multiple devices, I’ll probably do some kind of combination. I can see some kind of “dashboard” showing the basic readings, and then the device selector to show more indepth info as well.

Thanks very much!

@wanek I’ll either use provisioning or enter the auth code for each device. That’s the plan at least.

Go back a level and pick up the .ino with the 7 or 8 associated files. It’s also in the Arduino IDE.