Migration Blynk 01 (legacy) to Blynk IoT NEW

Hi all, (I’m a beginner)

I’ve downloaded the new Blynk app (Amazing work guys) and signed up (was not finding my old account).

I’ve an account with my email on version 2.26.8 (1) (as see in the picture)
And I’ve 2 main projects/app (I’ll share them soon in the community):

• Rpi based that allow me to controll remotely lights and doors reporting the status of the light/door in the app, the app monitor also Rpi temperature and can switch off or reboot Rpi
  • ESP 32 based that works as water level sensor in a tank using a ultrasonic distance sensor and as well monitor ESP temperature and status

Now my question is: how I migrate my projects/app from the new app?

Thanks in advance for your precious help :slight_smile:

That’s because there is no link of any type between Blynk Legacy and Blynk IoT (except the word Blynk).

I assume you mean “to the new app”?
There is no automatic migration process. You create the datastreams you need in the IoT web console, re-create the app in Blynk IoT and modify your sketch so that it’s compatible with Blynk IoT. You also need to upgrade your C++ library to version 1.0.1

As far as your RPI is concerned, it depends what programming language you used for that project.

Pete.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Pete for the usefull info!!! :slight_smile:

Yes sorry, my bad :sweat_smile: I ment “to the new app”
Ok so:

1. I’ll create the datastream
  2. I’ll recreate the app
  3. I’ll update the sketch on the device (I’m using node JS)

a couple of question more:

1. do you know if the energy purchased in the Blynk Legacy app will be lost? :neutral_face:
  2. Pricing | Blynk IoT Platform here it’s written that on free plan device can be added for $4.99 per device but I haven’t seen the option, just the plan upgrade (also do you know if there is still the possibility to buy single feature e.g.: the styled button, instead of upgrading the plan)?

Thanks
Fede

Yes. Blynk IoT doesn’t use energy.
You should have received an email giving you a 50% discount on the first year’s subscription to a Plus or Pro subscription…

Yes that’s an option. I think its done in the Billing section of the web console.

No, that’s not an option.

You’d need to check if the NodeJS library has been updates to be compatible with Blynk IoT.
Personally, I don’t think the RPI makes a good platform for Blynk projects. You’re much better off with a NodeMCU or ESP32 and C++

Pete.

Thanks Pete!! :slight_smile:

Indeed I haven’t received any email, actually I realized about the new app randomly on appStore. I’ll foollow up in that thread, thanks for letting me know!

You know everything : ) :slight_smile: thanks!!! I’ve seen how to add a device, indeed Billing section in the console.

Probably not, indeed I’ve seen also on Blynk example browser there is no code in NodeJS. How can I check it?

Thanks a lot for the hint (as said I’m beginner and I might have choose the wrong HW), why you think it’s a good choice?
I choosed RPi as has more pin, ethernet port and I easily access from remote (even from mobile) with VNC to work on it if there is any bug. In general I tought it would have been more powerful and scalable (and actually I didn’t know ESP 32 when I started).

Rather early this year I’ve moves the distance sensor on ESP 32 nodeMCU and the implementation has been easier then when I did in RPi.

Happy to receive any feedback or advice on the choice :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot

Fede

In my opinion drawbacks of the Pi as a client device are:

• Expensive (not a issue if you’ve already bought one)
  • Requires a beefy power supply
  • Requires an operating system, and ongoing OS maintenance/updates
  • Slow to boot after a power interruption
  • The SD card will die at some point, probably when you least want it to
  • Can’t be programmed in C++ now that Wiring Pi is deprecated
  • Larger form factor.

Advantages:

• Ethernet port
  • More processing power, so great as a server.

I have several Pi’s but would never consider using them as client devices. As far as the Ethernet port is concerned, it should be a simple task to plug a wireless access point into your Ethernet wiring to give yourself a local wireless network so you can use an ESP device.

Probably download the latest library and try it. Backup your Pi’s SD card and see if you can get it working with the new version of Blynk.

Pete.

1 Like

Thanks a lot Pete for sharing your opinion :slight_smile: and sorry for late reply, I didn’t had time to work on my porjects latelly…neither tried to update NodeJS

I’ll share my project in the community to get suggestion on the best way to achive, and hopefully to help someone as well :slight_smile:

Fede