Joystick widget

Well I was going to use this to control a boat speed and rudder, but have noticed it moves in a circular path.

Which means when you turn left or right you lose the throttle value. :confused:

Surely the joystick should move a square path, so that you can have full throttle while turningā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s intentional: SAFETY is the priority!
ā€¦ Just kidding. But YES, it should be changed. But not really an error, maybe a design issue :slight_smile:

You can easily map incoming values so that certain vertical range wonā€™t affect the throttle. Same for turns.

I donā€™t think that would be a solution, imagine trying to manouvre and having to return the tiller to centre just to adjust the throttle, and vice-versa.

No, in order to use the joystick effectively, you have to have independent and simultaneous control of both the X and Y axes, just like the Throttle/Rudder and Aileron/Elevator controls on an airplane RC transmitter.

You can use 2 sliders then. Be creative :slight_smile:

I did, works fine for controlling my AWESOME Blynk Powered Volkswagen T1 Transporter Hippie-de-Luxe van. :wink:

1 Like

I had thought of that Pavel, but there are going to be another 2 sliders on this project, and manipulating more than 2 at once on a small iPhone screen is just going to be cumbersomeā€¦

Maybe Iā€™ll give it a go and see how it pans out, but I do like the idea of controlling the boat movement with one finger, or a thumb ā€¦

Well, rectangular can be put inside of a circle. Which means itā€™s a pure math to map the values from joystick to do what you need.

Another thing against using sliders is that you canā€™t have Auto-Return to centre like the round joystick can have. This boat controller will have forward/reverse, and left/right, so ā€œhands-offā€ would be straight and stop, ideal for the application, where accurate boat positioning will be the goal.

I like the idea of the rectangle inside the circle, Iā€™ll have a think about the math involved, although I feel it would limit the usable range of the joystick control, giving 0-100% over SQRT(2) of the travel.

I truly believe that making and hacking is all about taking the tools and things you have, and adapt it to your needs.

Blynk offers various tools, and itā€™s up to you and your imagination how to use it to achieve your goals. In this case - joystick fits your goals like 90%? Make the rest 10% by hacking it :wink:

And I truly believe that if I donā€™t have the correct tool in my toolbox, I go out and get one, rather than risk making something inferior, restrictive, or cumbersome to use.

If you are saying you are not going to consider making a square 2-axis joystick, where the two axes do not interfere with each other, then I will have to look elsewhere, and not use Blynk.

Sorry to hear that, but Iā€™m just being transparent. We donā€™t plan to implemet square joystick in the nearest time for 2 reasons:

1. You are the first one to request it in 3 years of Blynk. We would need a few more requests, obviously. Then it can get to the roadmap.
  2. Your use-case can be covered with existing widget + a few lines of code on hardware side.

Well, Iā€™m not using joystick and not planning to. I wonder how popular is this widget? For sure @Gunner uses it for his project. :stuck_out_tongue: As ā€œnot a userā€ I try to keep away, but still have a ā€œright to voteā€. Well there is one important (?) reason to change it to ā€œsquare modeā€: Almost every widget in Blynk emulates real world control devices (yet Iā€™m not aware of any Zergba remote control :wink: ), but not Joystick. Thatā€™s all!

2 votes counted then :wink:

1 Like

Well as apparently as the unofficial ā€œother user of this widgetā€ :stuck_out_tongue: (I do use it for two different projects, a mobile rover and a Pan & Tilt for my PiCam) I should cast my voteā€¦ however I have no strong feelings either way.

EDIT - OK, I re-read my post and I guess I do side on the ā€œleave it as isā€ side after all :innocent: )

I can see both sidesā€¦ Yes, it ā€œjust worksā€ well enough as is :slight_smile:

But in order to use the corners with full X/Y values, it would need to be a ā€œsquareā€.

As is, one can extrapolate it out with mathā€¦ but I belive it would also require a reduction in resolution to account for the truncated values in the current ā€œcornersā€.

E.g. With a setting of -255 to 255 (leaving 0 as center) one can see how the round ā€œcornersā€ prevent reaching full 255 values for both axisā€¦ thus the device side math will have a reduced values to work with for extrapolation and more processing required for said math anyhow.

Howeverā€¦ I feel that for most real IoT purposes, true corners and/or extrapolated resolution loss would be completely negligible, particularly for basic directional controls. I have found that anything requiring such motion precision probably shouldnā€™t be using a virtual interface anyhow as there is no tactile feedback required for such human interface precision.

I personally would prefer to see Blynk resources going to much more practical uses like a 4x20 LCD (OK, kiddingā€¦ sorta :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )ā€¦ actually more like graphical customisation of buttons, sliders, gauges with user supplied imagery to complement the built in options. Including a true image viewing widget - pulling data from the device/server as needed. And so on. But that is for another topic :blush:

PS, I havenā€™t bothered to sit down and measure itā€¦ but suspect that aside from the very fancy optically driven onesā€¦ even physical joysticks based on potentiometers will run into a small degree of ā€œroundā€ cornersā€¦ these are analog devices based on physical limitations of rotationā€¦ not square touch pads :wink:

Also, I suspect that most precision controls never expect to be driven to the stops in any axis.

Actually they do the full scale (except some s*tyy ones, where I owned one some time)

Where I agree, is a low priority of this modification. But itā€™s not the best design as it is currently

They can be closeā€¦ but not physically possible to be stop to stop in a corner with dual pots and no mechanical ā€œadjustmentsā€ that make the full x or y top/bottom out before full lever extension anyhow. Like a box inside of a circleā€¦ only now the loss is on the sides not the corners.

Comparing analog with digital will always have digital ā€œaveragingā€ to some small degree.

It is a dual lever design: One lever hinged to the other, which is hinged to base. That way one pot doesnā€™t influence the movements of the other. Butā€¦ is it important at all??

Exactly the point :+1:ā€¦ Aside from the intellectual debate of mechanical vs. virtual (which admittedly the engineer wannabe in me enjoys) arguments can be made either way, but for this topics OP, wellā€¦ the widget just simply works for what it needs to do :slight_smile:

1 Like