Is there a way to make a label widget clickable for navigation purposes?

I did a quick search and found this post about voting for the next widget but nothing else. I’d like to display a data stream value in a label/button and then click on it to navigate to a different page with expanded details. Is this currently possible? I looked at all the button options but didn’t see a way to display the value from a datastream as the button text. Nor did I see a way to make a label clickable for navigation but maybe I missed it.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

You can do this via Blynk.setProperty() and onLabel or offLabel…

Pete.

1 Like

Got it. Thank you sir!

1 Like

I noticed that after clicking on the button and then navigating back to the initial page where the button is, the label goes back to the default “OFF” value. Is this the expected behavior? There is no physical device and I’m updating the values via the API in case that is pertinent.

Eric

How is your switch widget configured (push/switch) and what exactly are you doing with your on/off values?

Pete.

I’m using a styled button with the following:

Settings Tab:
Data:
Datastream: blank
Use Datastream Min/Max: off
OFF: 0, On: 1
Settings:
Mode: Page
Page: Test

Design Tab:
Title: Sample Text
Labels: Text Only
Off Label: blank (default values)
On Label: blank (default values)

Then setting label via API with below url. After click on the button and seeing the “Test” page, I then close the page and go back to the main screen where the button is and the On label and Off label have been set back to the default values of “Off” or “On”.

URLs:

“On” value
https://ny3.blynk.cloud/external/api/update/property?token={token}&pin=v0&onLabel=idle

“Off” value
https://ny3.blynk.cloud/external/api/update/property?token={token}&pin=v0&offLabel=idle

I’ve never tried using the “page” option, but the behaviour does sound a bit like a bug.
Are you using iOS or Android, and what app version are you using?

Is a workaround to change the on/off label “default” values? Would this work for you?

Pete.

Hi Pete,

I was hoping to be able to display live (changing) data for a piece of equipment as the button label. Then when a user wanted more information about that specific equipment they could click the value which would then navigate to a sub-page showing more detailed info. Like a drill down if you will.

Eric

So presumably you’re updating these values on a regular basis, but the issue is when you return from page view the value displayed is the default one, until the next update occurs?
If so, then why is this an issue?

Does the update frequency need to be changed?

Pete.

I update the values once a minute. This is a problem when displaying say a throughput rate for a piece of equipment that is variable from 0 to 1000 lbs per hour. If I set the button label to display 453 lbs/hr and then a user clicks in to get more detail, then closes the page the label would go back to displaying “Off”. Yes, it would update again on the next cycle but that isn’t exactly a great user experience.

If it can’t be done, that’s fine. I was just looking for a way to better use the screen real estate instead of having another button/tab to get to the detail view.

Eric

I don’t think you’re grasping the solution I’m proposing, but not to worry.

Pete.

That’s a bit of a condescending answer. But not to worry, I get that you want me to update the values more frequently but it would be an unnecessary API call as they don’t change that often. And no matter how often I update it a user would inevitably see the default value at times creating a poor user experience. It would be better if the label maintained it’s set value instead of defaulting back to “Off”.

Eric

That’s not what I said, and the problem is that you aren’t taking onboard what I have said, hence the answer that you feel to be condescending.

I’d suggest that you raise this as a bug report, outlining the issue in detail (with screenshots) and clearly stating which app OS and version(s) you’ve tested this with.

Pete.

Which part of that doesn’t sound like updating more often? Your other option of setting the default value to something other than “Off” doesn’t work either. As I said, this is a variable throughput rate. No matter what value I set as the default, be it 100 lbs/hr, 250 or anything else it would be incorrect and the user would see it at some point.

As is often the case on message boards tone isn’t super clear here so perhaps if you hadn’t meant your comment as condescending you should’ve followed up with a more detailed explanation of what you actually meant. I get that you are knowledgeable on this platform and for that I appreciate your feedback but your delivery could have been better, at least in this instance.

Eric

I didn’t suggest either of these.
This is a text filed, it could be set to “–”, “Awaiting Values”, " ", “??” or anything else you wish to put in there, but you don’t seem interested in exploring this option and instead have focussed on my one mention of update frequency.

No problem Eric, I will endeavour not to respond you future posts, to ensure that my poor delivery is not an issue for you again.

Good lock with your project.

Pete.

I would recommend placing an icon button near the value. This is a common UX pattern for cases like yours. Or even making it a whole row. For example:

—————————
Temp: 23°C. →
—————————

If there are charts on the page, use charts icon, or just three dots. Something that will indicate the information that will be accessed by pressing on the icon.