Is it possible to make 2 projects for 1 hardware device

Hi,

I’m making a project with a NodeMCU connected via WIFI.

I’m planning to share the project with my friends, so they can also see the sensor values and manipulate some pins with their smartphones.
But there are some important pins I don’t want them to manipulate, but are only for me to control.

So to restrict their acces, I was thinking that I could make a “basic project” with all the widgets my friends are allowed to play with, and share that project with them.
And then I would also create a “master project” for me with some extra widgets.

But I can’t seem to find how to do this.
Because you always generate a new Auth Token when you create a new project and you can only put one Auth Token in the code for the hardware device.
So I’m wondering if it’s even possible.

And if it’s not possible, how would you suggest I solve this problem?
Because I was thinking I could put a password entry in the project, so only if the password is entered the “master widgets” could be controlled.
But I don’t really like that solution, because I would have to enter the password every time I want to control those pins. And my friends would also have acces the moment I enter the password. And I also don’t like that there are all these widgets in the project I share with my friends, that they can’t even use. It just looks sloppy.

So if anybody knows how to do this, I would be very gratefull.

Regards,
niceguy

I’ve previously done something similar using two Blynk projects (with different Auth codes) and Node-Red to handle data flow and synchronisation between the two projects. It worked very well.

Pete.

If you don’t have node red, couldn’t bridge widget be used?

Create your ‘master’ project, and write your values to the bridge widget as per the above link.
Then have a second ‘read only’ project which you can share with your friends.

I’m sure it could be done, and API calls are an option too, but it gets complex because it would need to be 2-way bridging.

Pete.

1 Like