Irrigation relay with timer - esp8266 - WIP

i have 1.6.5… I don’t think this matters.
Does esp work without using Blynk?

I’ve got good feedbacks already, so it should work.

@vhymanskyy
changed back to Arduino 1.6.1 and former blynk lib and it works. Just downloading 1.6.5 and trying it again.

@vshymanskyy
So now installed 1.6.5 and the new lib. Still no serial output on Arduino Terminal. Used Coolterm and there it is. Program is not hanging, serial output is working and blink sketch also. Is there a bug in Arduino serial with ESP as the serial output with Arduino sketch and board is okay?

Downloaded Arduino source code and compiled it. Prog is working now. Even after installing a baud rate of 74880 baud the serial port is working perfect.
Program seems to be a bit faster is that right?

@vshymanskyy i can report it looks a lot more stable.

i still get a reboot when stopping the dashboard in the blynk app and starting it back on a more complicated sketch.

too many components updating maybe?

@tzapulica
same result on ESP with the rebooting but not every time. I cannot reproduce this. The Arduino is working stable even at cutoffs.

Currently this is maximum possible stability and speed of protocol I could get of it :wink:

thanks, it s very much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

@voyager i m thinking that the arduino does not have a watchdog enabled and the esp has by default, which causes the rest… maybe with wdt disabled it won t have any issues

1 Like

changed software (Arduino 1.6.5 + Blynk 0.2.2)
changed hardware to OLIMEX ESP8266 EVB with MOD-WIFI-ESP8266-DEV.
I removed the relay and attached a 433MHz transmitter using led on GPIO5 as a heartbeat signal. Transmitter data is on GPIO15.Works perfect. Now i am testing the longterm stability. Going to implement a hobbytronics uk serial flash drive for data logging on second EVB board.
Here’s a pic of the first board.

2 Likes

Love the WiFiManager, but it doesn’t seem to handle spaces in the SSID or password. Instead of a space, a “+” is recorded. I discovered a variant of your code that IS able to account for spaces:

However, I can’t figure out how to extract the password and SSID variables to pass to the Blynk.begin command. My coding skills are limited.

Really cool. I find a performance issue. If the DHT data is read to the APP. Response to the operation on APP will be slow or even invalid. I’m not sure if it’s caused by the delay of DHT sensor reading.

@chrome1000 all you need to do is

wifi.autoConnect("Blynk"); //wifi manager does it s thing then gives control back only when connected
String ssid = wifi.getSSID(); //read ssid through wifimanger from eeprom
String pass = wifi.getPassword(); //read pass
Blynk.begin(auth, ssid.c_str(), pass.c_str()); //pass ssid and psss to blynk to reconnect

so it connects twice, but until blynk give us a version that doesn t do the connection inside, it s the only way i could think of.

i added a fix that space decoding issue, i could not test it yet, but should work
glad you like it, cheers

I notice you have some virtual pin reading the DHT sensor values, but the screenshot of blynk doesn’t have the related virtual pin. Do you have the same concern on this? @tzapulica

hi, when i had all the data the screen looked like this, but it rebooted a lot, so i cut down on features to increase stability:

2 Likes

This looks so rad! thanks for posting!

hi @Pavel, thanks. playing with this quite a bit, i would find the following extremely useful:

• documentation of what happens when you play/resume/stop a project in the app and how it affects the code running on the mcu (for instance i think when i resume, or start the app, it triggers a lot of updates on the esp, which in turn lock it, causing the watchdog to reset it)
  • a way to export/duplicate a screen. i have to recreate the screens every time i want to play with a different configuration and it s becoming more tedious as more code/widgets are added
  • set button state from mcu end, the same you can set a led s state (if esp restarts, i want to reset my interface as well)

cheers

We are preparing Push Notifications widget. Very soon you’ll be able to get info on your smartphone if smth happened on the hardware :wink:

Hey Pavel, I have updated the latest hardware library/Android App, and tried the Graph/Mail and Notification widget. But nothing seems to work. Are this features ready to use?

Hi, yes. Both notifications and graph should work.

@Dmitriy , could you please double check?