IOTstack - local blynk server running with Docker

For raspberry pi users, this is a project made by Graham Garner to run Blynk local, node red, mosquitto etc… under a docker stack. I’ve been using it for a few months and it really is excellent.

I asked for Blynk local server to be added, and it was. Does anyone fancy testing it out?

Full readme:

There’s a Blynk section with a setup guide from yours truly.

Any errors/improvements you find please let me know, here or on the github issues page.

2 Likes

I’ve been meaning to give the Docker thing a go since watching the video from “The guy with the Swiss accent”. I have an RPI 4 on order, as I thought I might as well start with the latest hardware/software combination, so this will be a good ‘lockdown project’.

I’ll let you know how I get on, assuming that my Pi 4 actually arrives anytime soon.

I also want to give PlatformIO a try, because I’m interested in the idea of inline debugging and have a JTAG adapter on order, so it looks like I’m going to be busy!

Pete.

1 Like

Hi @877, I have IOTstack setup running and I’m trying to get my head around how to add Docker containers that aren’t in Graham’s menu. As a result, I’m doing a bit of playing around and trying to see how things work, and may do a full clean re-install if I mess things up.

I had a quick look at Blynk server and it’s working for me, but I’d like to set-up data logging (or at least know how to do it for future use.
The Blynk server instructions are here:

I didn’t install the Postgres container initially, but can easily go back and do that at a later date (I think) as its in Graham’s menu.

The question is, do I simply set the two server property options to true and follow the rest of the instructions (minus the Postgres install bit), or is there more to it?

Pete.

Hi Pete,

Great news, you probably already know more that me! I’ve not used Postgres before, I’m not really sure why it’s needed or why there is a need to log data (other than temperature/humidity data perhaps).

Yes you can install any container at a later date, ssh in and go to IOTstack directory, then run: ./menu.sh

Select the container you want to add, tab to ok, then for each existing container choose “Do not overwrite”. For node red just select cancel when it asks about installing nodes. This will ensure any changes you might make to docker-compose.yml will not be overwritten.

When back in terminal type docker-compose up -d and it pull the latest Postgres container and start the stack.

I would really recommend using Portainer if you haven’t already, you can access the logs for each container under the ‘quick actions’ first icon. Below is my test rig setup:

To add your own containers check here.

I don’t know about the server.properties, but I would think it would be fine. May as well install Postgres first to be sure…

It’s been a while since I have set this up so I’m refreshing my memory too :slight_smile:

1 Like