How to make a server on my android phone

Just use USB nano stick for WiFi :slight_smile:
This should do the trick + micro usb to USB adapter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/332139740772

You could pry open the dongle and Desolder the USB and replace it with this type
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391333526724

1 Like

at the moment it seems that i will get some semi-broken windows phone, in weekend. i will try with that first. theoretically it should work…
that is zero money spent and is super compact with battery included, no case needed. if it will not work, the next step will be the rpi + wifi dongle.

as for the [quote=“Fettkeewl, post:16, topic:1540”]
Just create a Android project in IntellJ
[/quote]

i had never wrote any code for android, nor have any experience with java. so, definitely i will not begin right now. i have to resolve this issue with mobile server asap and as simple as possible.

1 Like

Just an FYI, there is apparently a new pi member

Raspberry Pi Zero W
With WiFi and and Bluetooth at $10

wow, this indeed looks very nice!

I was going to remind everyone that the >C.H.I.P.< is $9 , has WiFi, BT and runs Blynk Server (and even Client, but I haven’t yet been able to figure out the GPIO with Blynk).

But that New RPi Zero W looks real nice… and even a bit smaller than C.H.I.P. I think, especially without the soldered on header :+1:

And, yes, there is “currently” :wink: no resistor on the LED… but it is underdriven, just flashes as part of a battery monitor script… and has been doing so for a few weeks without issue (not on battery the whole time :stuck_out_tongue: just running in general).

OrangePi Zero is below 10$ ($7 costs 256MB version) and has WiFi. Personally using OPI One with ethernet, though so not tested by me but 99% or more it works. And try with Oracle Java where possible. OpenJDK is somehow worse - less responsive web interface, some errors or warnings… but works too.

thank you guys for all the useful info!

as i said, first i will try the windows phone, maybe i can use that as a server… that would be the most convenient from all pov.

you mean it is possible to run client + server on the same time on the same machine? i could be interested in that.

i’ve looked into these chip boards. indeed the 9 usd price is ok, however currently they are out of stock and as i see they anyway do not ship to romania. (this is where i live now, and i can’t find a dealer here). also, i wonder how much is the shipping…

Could this work?

@hutje, if you read my older posts, you can see that @Lichtsignaal and i already tried those approaches and they are not ok.

so finally is it possible(run local server on android platform or windows phone 10) or not?

I think this is possible. However we never tried that.

As long as it runs java and has a command line to start Blynk. I think Windows phone is your best bet. It seems impossible to run java on Android …

on android it is not possible, that’s 100%.
on windoze phone (i tried win 8), it was not possible at all.
maybe on win 10 phone it is possible (but i do not really think).

for me, all these experiments were a waste of time.
after all, i would recommend a pi zero w, or something similar.

It is possible. However Android has a bit different JVM (Dalvik). So it may require some tuning of server. But in general this should be possible.

1 Like

ok, @Dmitriy, i will not argue with you, because i’m sure you have much more knowledge on this topic than me.

but for me, as a simple “end user”, it seemed impossible (at least on android 4.3). probably if someone has enough knowledge to hack the hell out of the server files, it is possible :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I don’t have time right now to look through. Maybe some day :slight_smile:.

Dalvik actually seems to be ancient and discontinued in later Android versions, from what I can find on the web.

Android 5.1 later i think Android uses ART (Android Runtime)

2 Likes

You’re right. I forgot about that. Anyway, java supports AOT compilation. So java server could be compiled to support ART.

2 Likes