Having multiple LED devices and like to control them

Dear all,

first of all: I love blynk nearly everything on features that I need for my ideas is already implemented in blynk! Thats so nice!!!

actually I have different LED devices which are controlled by arduinos. The count of LEDs is different and the pattern are also different.

I like to control them over the air and synchronize them like the pattern or build large pattern over different devices.

So I tought about a mesh network but finally I think a star topology is fine because its fine with one controller.

With blynk I’m able to change the pattern, color, or any other thing of one device. Thats great!

Difficult is it for me to find a solution for sync and build modular groups.

Sync: I like to build larger pattern between multiple devices. So I have to identify them and give an order and give a difference between the other devices.

The goal is that: I have 3 devices. So I have to split 255 in to 3 parts and tell them. So: device1 get the information 0, device2 get the information 85 and device3 170.

I can set names for every device with an different auth key. It’s OK but not nice because I have to change every sketch. Better solution will be: generated names while running or similar which joining automatically with the same auth key.

Now I can use a tag for my 3 devices to set the pattern. OK

Now I have to count the devices and split 255 in the parts and send the information to 1, 2, 3… How? I’m able to count the devices and give different informations to them? I’m not able to programming on blynk app/server right?

Next thing:

When I have 4 more devices they should build a new group. If I like to do the same with them, I have to create a new widget and do the same like above right?

The goal should be to: select devices, or tags first AND then using the buttons and other stuff from the app. This is not possible actually. Any Idea to handle this?

Best regards
Paul

You’re not hearing anything because this is not really a Blynk question. I recommend understanding how the existing LED Matrix solutions (search for LED Matrix or WS2812b on your favorite electronics supply site) work, then create a working prototype without Blynk.

Hey there!

It’s hard to explain what my question is I think.

I have no problem to control the LEDs or the pattern.

I search a solution how the LED devices can talk with each other. Without that I’m not able to make an Matrix of LED devices.
I thought in blynk should be a possiblity to collect the informations from the different devices in the blynk server/ app and push it to the devices back. But I can not manipulate the data which is coming.
The blynk bridge does not work in this case because I need a solution without hardcoding an authkey.

So actually I think it could be an option to create an stack in server memory which collects IDs of the devices. Then I can count it and give them an specific order and calculate how to synch the pattern.

It’s not the nicest solution perhaps you know an easier way?

Best regards
Paul

You could look at setting-up a Raspberry Pi to run Node-Red and MQTT.
MQTT is a communication protocol that allows devices to talk to each other via the RPI server. Node-Red is a graphical programming system that allows you to process the MQTT and Blynk messages and apply your own logic to what happens next.

I use this as a way of controlling various devices around the house and find it much easier to get the results I need than relying solely on Blynk.

I saw this Instructable about a similar project the other day, which might also be of help:

Pete.

1 Like

Hey Pete!

Thanks for this hint! It looks that it is what I need!

Paul