Eventor and Time

@Cejfi thanks. Does the eventor work as expected without changing TZ on phone?

Yes, think it works even without 5 minutes delay (mentioned by Gunner before)

Thanks. We will check.

I don’t. You are now in Vladivostok where the time is 23:07 so you will have to wait until 15:10:00 tomorrow for your message.

It might not seem very logical but I think the widget is correct.

I am normally GMT + 3 so when I did the test it was 18:11 here. I set Android TZ to GMT + 2 so phone is now 17:11. Set eventor for 17:13 and a selection of GMT + 3. Note this TZ setting doesn’t appear to do anything but it might if you moved TZ’s between setting it and the Eventor trigger time. It simply indicates the phone time you want the setting to activate and would be 3hrs ahead of GMT if you didn’t switch TZ’s.

Event triggered at 17:13 as requested, which is a local time of 18:13. Events trigger within about 30s of allocated time.

So if you were to actually move to Vladivostok then you need to set the Eventor trigger time to 23:10.

Not sure if that makes things any clearer, but if it doesn’t, provide a real example of time travel where the eventor doesn’t trigger.

Well I think there lies the confusion, if I move somewhere else, normaly I would set my phones time zone acordingly to that new location, what is the point of the TZ setting anyway then… I am not sure, but I think the developer wants to be indipendent from the settings inside the phone, is there any other widget that is somehow related to the settings in the phone.

You also said before that Eventor doesnt use phone time, but how does it know then that I am in Vladivostok if I told Eventor to take the Vienna Time Zone…

P.S. Wondering if this confusion is also everywhere else where you can select time zone in the widgets…

Regards

Exactly and you wouldn’t see the issues you are raising by artificially moving your TZ for testing purposes.

I think you are right but my understanding of the early time based widgets is that even though the time is triggered by the server it calculates the time from your phone settings in relation to UTC. So if you want a trigger 2 hrs from local time the server will:

Establish how far away from UTC you were when you created the trigger and how many hours in the future you want the trigger.

So locally at 4pm you want 6pm trigger and you are UTC + 3. Server only really knows UTC so it knows you created the trigger at 1pm UTC and that you want the trigger time to be 3PM UTC.

If you then mess around with TZ settings after you set the event / trigger you are sure to miss the event.

The 5 minutes (not delay so much as a buffer) I suggested was for when setting the time for testing, as all that scrolling takes time before hitting OK, and just in case your Local Server time is a bit off. Once set, then everything works correctly and on time.

So, is this “issue” resolved?

I think only @Dmitriy can answer this question.

1 Like

We fixed the issue. However let’s leave this topic until we will release new update to confirm.

2 Likes

If I might ask, what was there to fix? I have only seen proper (or purposely improper, via TZ) time activation on my tests.

Timezone was picked from phone settings and not from selection in widget.

Ah, got ya… Thank you. PS, TZ setting must have come from both, as changing the Widget TZ did have desired results, but I never changed the phone settings.

Potential phone settings… something to remember for next troubleshooting session :wink: