Ethernet connection query

Folks

Looking for some help on my project . I have it complete now and have to present it in University next week .

I have a arduino Ethernet shield mounted on arduino UNO controlling relays and leds etc
That’s not really important.

I have it connected and working at home via my router . But when I plug into wall socket directly and bypass the router it does not work .
The college works on wall sockets also for each student any idea how I am going to get my project online ?

Not a Blynk related issue, more networking 101.

Your Ethernet adapter is a simple device that requires your router or some other properly setup internet gateway device to provide it a suitable local IP and properly pass information to and from the shield & Internet. It (as most Ethernet devices) are not designed to plug into any old Ethernet outlet and magicly work :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: they need to be configured to that system.

Be aware that those Ethernet shields are also know to have problems working over some types of network configurations / switches, etc. And if your college network requires a ID/password via web browser, then you will probably not be able to use any Blynk device over it without much hassle.

You will need to talk to your College’s IT department to determine what, if anything they can do.

Alternatively, you may consider a laptop, plugged into your college network and run your Arduino over that via USB link instead of Ethernet (basically the Laptop becomes an overgrown Ethernet adapter, but one that can be configured to your college network :wink: )

http://help.blynk.cc/how-to-connect-different-hardware-with-blynk/arduino/usb-serial

Cheers really appreciate your response . I may take a video of it working at home incase I cannot get it working at college

Thanks again

These shields don’t work with some types of switches. The “wall sockets” at your university will be wired back to switches, which may be the issue.
This thread has more info:
https://community.blynk.cc/t/ethernet-shield-w5100-does-not-connect-to-the-blynk-server-via-switch-only-with-router/12695/26

You may also find that the university’s IT department block some ports that Blynk requires to operate.

You could try plugging a different type of switch into the wall socket and see if that helps.

Pete.

This is not a case anymore. Blynk uses 443 port for apps and 80 port for hardware.

@brianfau what app and firmware version do you have? What does hardware console says?

But will that allow connection past a typical institutes login requirements? And I know it won’t allow a shield to work without the router, as the OP tried.

EDIT but yes, it probably will circumvent the specific issue @PeteKnight mentioned :blush: