ESP8266 as access point

@Rahul, good news for you.
I’m currently working on the prototype of direct connection, and have some good results.
Library already has support for this feature, however it’s rather low-level and needs more understanding to work with it.
I will keep you updated.

4 Likes

Deleted - I have got it to work using an ESP866-01 as a shield on a Nano.

1 Like

Wow!! Thank you very much. This would open new doors for future projects!! Awesome guys!! Thx

I am also very interested in the possibility of using esp8266 as access point connecting iphone directly to the device without wifi network. It would be great to use of the app in the open field as remote controller. keep us posted.

2 Likes

Will try to implement soon for Android.

1 Like

You can control the device using the BLYNK if enable hotspot on your smartphone and register settings in the device. For example, Blynk.begin (auth, “AndroidAP”, “password”);
It requires, of course, access to the Internet via cell phones.

1 Like

I guess thats possible but we want to use blynk as a remote controller. No internet access needed. From what i understand, this requires major changes on app end dur to the fact that esp uses tcp while app uses ssl. Hopefully this will be possible in the near future

1 Like

Does anyone know if there’s been any more progress in creating an offline Blynk-based esp controller? I’m about to try by using my phone as an AP but the completely offline option would be better.

1 Like

I’m hoping for the same thing, I want to make a remote control for my dslr camera to use out in the field, would be great if it was possible to use a ESP8266 as an access point :slight_smile:

I have been going through several platforms to see which one will suit my needs and so far Blynk is the best. I really hope thei work on connecting directly to ESP8266 as an AP

1 Like

me too, would be great! I have an existing project running from a arduino mini, and I would love to stick a esp8266 in there for I can monitor from the comfort of my car when I’m out in the field :slight_smile:

hey. this is exactly what I was trying to do. check this, I made this http://www.instructables.com/id/ESP8266Smartphone-Wireless-Remote-for-DSLR-with-po/ But using blynk would definetly be better.

Can you use this to dynamically change between SSID’s? Because sometimes I use my esp with a differente router and I would like that my esp would know which ssid are available and connect to the ones I pre configured.
If it find ssid= Wifi1 do Blynk.begin(auth, Wifi1, password)
If it finds ssid= Wifi2 do Blynk.begin(auth, Wifi2, password)
etc…

EDIT: This seems to work Feeding WIFI SSID, Passwords and Blynk key's via a webpage in the ESP8266 EEPROM

1 Like

That’s good to hear! Blynk is amazing

Dmitriy, any progress on this? I know you guys have been pretty busy just wondering if this is still in your roadmap

@dro this will be done after bluetooth. Buletooth will be in 2 weeks (hope so) .

edit: doesn’t work, it was just something i threw together as a test, I didn’t realise blynk sends the commands via their own servers. :frowning:

not working. I have tried

Hey, here’s a thought - Set up your phone as the AP - Probably with some tethering app, and run the server on the phone. It’s just java, right? How hard could that be on Android? Then just point the ESP to connect to the phone’s AP, internet or no internet, and the blynk server would then be whatever the “gateway” IP of the phone is, 10.10.10.1, 192.168.0.1, etc? I got the blynk server running on a linux box in about 5 minutes, and if I can do it, probably anybody ought to.

It’s really hard … I’ve been trying for a couple days and it’s not possible to run Java native on android because there is not Java version for it. You have to use some sort of emulation tool for it.