ESP8266 as access point

Does anyone know if there’s been any more progress in creating an offline Blynk-based esp controller? I’m about to try by using my phone as an AP but the completely offline option would be better.

1 Like

I’m hoping for the same thing, I want to make a remote control for my dslr camera to use out in the field, would be great if it was possible to use a ESP8266 as an access point :slight_smile:

I have been going through several platforms to see which one will suit my needs and so far Blynk is the best. I really hope thei work on connecting directly to ESP8266 as an AP

1 Like

me too, would be great! I have an existing project running from a arduino mini, and I would love to stick a esp8266 in there for I can monitor from the comfort of my car when I’m out in the field :slight_smile:

hey. this is exactly what I was trying to do. check this, I made this http://www.instructables.com/id/ESP8266Smartphone-Wireless-Remote-for-DSLR-with-po/ But using blynk would definetly be better.

Can you use this to dynamically change between SSID’s? Because sometimes I use my esp with a differente router and I would like that my esp would know which ssid are available and connect to the ones I pre configured.
If it find ssid= Wifi1 do Blynk.begin(auth, Wifi1, password)
If it finds ssid= Wifi2 do Blynk.begin(auth, Wifi2, password)
etc…

EDIT: This seems to work Feeding WIFI SSID, Passwords and Blynk key's via a webpage in the ESP8266 EEPROM

1 Like

That’s good to hear! Blynk is amazing

Dmitriy, any progress on this? I know you guys have been pretty busy just wondering if this is still in your roadmap

@dro this will be done after bluetooth. Buletooth will be in 2 weeks (hope so) .

edit: doesn’t work, it was just something i threw together as a test, I didn’t realise blynk sends the commands via their own servers. :frowning:

not working. I have tried

Hey, here’s a thought - Set up your phone as the AP - Probably with some tethering app, and run the server on the phone. It’s just java, right? How hard could that be on Android? Then just point the ESP to connect to the phone’s AP, internet or no internet, and the blynk server would then be whatever the “gateway” IP of the phone is, 10.10.10.1, 192.168.0.1, etc? I got the blynk server running on a linux box in about 5 minutes, and if I can do it, probably anybody ought to.

It’s really hard … I’ve been trying for a couple days and it’s not possible to run Java native on android because there is not Java version for it. You have to use some sort of emulation tool for it.

As far s I know, Netty supports Android.
So, our server could be build to work on any android phone.
@Dmitry, please confirm.

Anyway, this feature is not on our roadmap currently,
so maybe someone from community can look into this…

Porting is possible. But it will not work out of box. Few code changes required. We for sure have no time for this. However this part is open-sourced. So any contributions are welcomed.

I have absolutely no idea where to start, but I might give it a shot. Could you guys give me just a few pointers? I’ll dig into it myself than

It’s not a very simple task - you have to create Android application, and incorporate Blynk server code into it.
BTW, running ESP in ‘server mode’ (like we currently do with BLE support) is also possible and may be easier - and I hope we will get to it soon.

What’s life without a good challenge? LOL. Sounds complicated though. Maybe I should make a “Hello World” Android app first, lmao.

1 Like

You need to know java for that task. As Android JVM (Dalvik) requires java specific code changes.

Well, I did Java a lifetime back, but I think I’ll start with some basic Android knowledge and come back to this later, I have way too much projects around the house to keep up for now. I need to make a serious list of things to do … :confused:

1 Like