ESP8266 and LED display do not communicate

I have been struggling with this issue now for few weeks. I can send you 5 more libraries and 20 tutorial videos about this board, but none of this have worked so far. I know how to use google and search for answers. The only reason i am here and ask for help, is i decided to get more familiar with arduino after a Blynk video. So it seemed to be a logical place to ask how to get a simple example code to work before getting a project more complicated and add inputs.

If there is a better maching phorum for arduino rookies with helpful users i met already here, i am looking for suggestions.

And I would never ever play here with codes if i could understand how to do the same in blynk - show some numbers on this LED display…

But your apparent issue is NOT code related… it is physical hookup… Blynk is powerful, but not magical.

If none of those many articles and libraries worked for you, then you might have faulty equipment.

OH, you WILL need to learn some device based code to do what you want… Basic App driven control is not really suited for driving displays like that.

Was able to solve it finally last night!

The pins must not be defined as GPIO pins or numbers. as discussed here before.

If CLK is connected to D6 and DIO is connected to D5, exactly as written on board.
#define CLK D6
#define DIO D5

But there are many faulty libraries that dont work with my board set. Could get only one example for Number Flow to work. other examples from this and other library do not function for me. So I will take this now as the base, simlify it and add what I need to buid the actual project.

It is really sad, that there is difficult to find a complete datasheet for the display, but it actually is Min voltage 3.3V, Typical 5V and Maximum 5.5V. Connected to VU will give more brightness (If set BRIGHTEST in code) out as it is 5V coming directly from USB (not connected with ESP).

Sorry @Gunner for this last post, but i made this to help users in the future :smiley: if they search for similar issues. Will come back with Blynk related issues only in the Future :wink:

1 Like

Glad you got something working… :+1:

Note, I wasn’t kicking you OFF the forum (not yet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: - jk ) I am only trying to stem the flow of ongoing non-Blynk related troubleshooting in this forum (at least the ones that start off that way).

When you start interfacing your project with Blynk, please create a new topic and we will assist as able

1 Like