Error compiling ESP8266_Shield with Arduino IDE

Hello,
I am new to Blynk. I have a generic ESP8266 ESP-01 board and want to try using it with Blynk. I downloaded the Arduino IDE, and the latest Blynk libraries according the the tutorial here: [Hackster][1]

I included the .zip libraries, reloaded the IDE and loaded the ESP8266_Shield example. However, when I try to compile it, this is the error I am getting:

:0:9: error: expected identifier before numeric constant
C:\Users\username\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ITEADLIB_Arduino_WeeESP8266-master/ESP8266.h:46:7: note: in expansion of macro ‘ESP8266’
class ESP8266 {
^
:0:9: error: expected unqualified-id before numeric constant
C:\Users\username\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ITEADLIB_Arduino_WeeESP8266-master/ESP8266.h:46:7: note: in expansion of macro ‘ESP8266’
class ESP8266 {
^
Error compiling.

I haven’t modified any files. Could someone explain why this is? I tried commenting the #define lines and replacing the occurences with the hard values, but the error remains.

Arduino IDE: v1.6.5, Windows 7 64-bit.

Thank you.
[1]: https://www.hackster.io/nolan-mathews/connect-to-blynk-using-esp8266-as-arduino-uno-wifi-shield-m1?f=1#

Hi, welcome to the community.
Have you read all the forum posts on this question? There are many similar topics - please re-check.

Hi @Pavel
Yes I read some of the posts here:
post 1
post 2
post 3

but I didn’t find any mention to the specific problem I’m having. I do have the modified lbrary. ESP8266_Standalone is compiling fine. Can you give me any pointers if you’ve seen this problem before?

Yiu must have forgotten to pick the right board type in the IDE… :wink:

Ok I finally got the “standalone” to work. I am not using any arduino board as a MITM. I’m directly using the ESP-01 connected thru a FTDI cable to my laptop.

So this is what I have: I installed the esp8266 official board support for the Arduino IDE and the remaining blynk libraries as in the instructable and am able to load the “standalone” Blynk code on it and communicate with it using my Iphone Blynk app… so hurray for that :slight_smile: It took a while to get it to work, esp. because something kept interfering with the wifi. I am able to blink a LED connected to GPIO2.

For transferring the code onto the esp=01, I used the “generic esp8266 board” profile within the IDE.

Now I still cannot get the “esp8266_shield” to work. I don’t know if its useful for me in any case. But with the esp8266 official board support (esp8266-arduino) installed, it keeps giving the error I referenced above. However, I removed the esp8266 support, and then it compiles correctly :confounded: I don’t know why this is so.

Check out the latest library release ,it comes bundled with some required libraries for ESP8266 Shield: https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-library/releases/latest