Enabling admins of a Sub Org to edit a Template

Hello,

I am trying to understand the complexities of sub-organizations (Pro plan).

Right now it seems that I can only create templates with one main organization account (with Developer enabled).

I added a test sub-org and created an admin user (template create+edit permissions turned on by default), but that user can only view templates that were assigned to that sub-org by the main account and can’t edit or create them.
I’m not able to enable Developer on that sub-org admin account (“This type of organization doesn’t support developer mode”).
I understand only 1 account per organization can have Developer enabled, but is that that per organization or only 1 account anywhere within the Pro plan can edit/create templates?

If I add my customers as sub organizations, is there a way that they can build or edit their own templates?

Ideally I am looking for something where I can create a template and set up the Datastreams, and then the customer with an admin sub-org account can edit the template to build the user interface as they want.

Is something like that possible?

For background info: My ‘device’ is a server that is sending the customer’s specific sensor data via the HTTP REST API to a static token that is claimed by the admin user of the sub organization. That token is tied to the template I would like the sub-org admin to be able to edit.
Right now this allow any accounts in the sub-org to view the template which is great, but no way for any of them to edit it.
Maybe I am going about the static token system or sub organization setup wrong as well, if anyone has a better idea of how to organize this sort of setup I am all ears.

Thanks
Evan

Hello. very good questions.

Pro account can create/edit templates only under his own organization. You can’t create products in suborgs, it’s not supported currently in the pro plan. But this scenario is supported in the business plan.

Unfortunately - no. This is against system design. SubOrg never can change/edit something in the upper hierarchy. So the only way to go here is via templates in suborg which is currently not supported.

You can’t create products in suborgs, it’s not supported currently in the pro plan. But this scenario is supported in the business plan.

This is good to know, we are probably going to end up with the Business plan but we’re just testing it with Pro for now to make sure it can do what we need.

To make sure I understand that right, with the Business plan the admin of a sub-org would be able to create or edit templates within their own organization?
For example if I gave the customer the datastream info they needed to configure that part, they could set up their own template within their own organization themselves?
And I think in this case I could create a template under their sub-org myself and set up the datastreams and then they can edit it for the UI? Maybe from my main account or if not I could create an admin account under their suborg that I can log into to do that I assume?

The template would be created by/under the suborg so it wouldn’t affect the upper hierarchy I think or am I wrong on that and only the main org would still only be able to create template for sub orgs? The “templates in suborg which is currently not supported” in the second part has me a little confused unless that was only referencing the Pro plan.

I’m hoping to update the entire system at some point so our remote devices implement the Blynk library and can send directly to Blynk but that’ll be a future project, right now the raw data needs to be processed on the server to get useable values for the user so I can’t escape that.

Yes, that’s correct. But I would say - this is a non-standard request.

Yes. But why would you need that? I mean, our experience shows that customers don’t want to do anything, most of them like the things to be done by someone else. In other words - do you think it is a good idea to ask the customers to set up something, instead of doing it yourself and maybe take a money for that as well?

The typical business use case is next - you create a template/s under the root org and all these templates are accessible by the suborgs. But users from the suborg can’t change/edit it. And by “accessible” here I mean that users can add the devices of that templates. End users can add devices of any of the template from the super org, but they can do it only if they know templateId. In other words, they can see only what you show them (what device you give/sell them).
When you need to do some change for a specific client/product, you just go and change that product in the root org. End-user gets the update right away.

Could you please give more info about your use case? Why do you think your customers will/want make some setup of templates?

Yes. But why would you need that? I mean, our experience shows that customers don’t want to do anything, most of them like the things to be done by someone else. In other words - do you think it is a good idea to ask the customers to set up something, instead of doing it yourself and maybe take a money for that as well?

I get what you mean, what the customers wants in our case is access to the data on their phone/tablet/computer in general, some definitely won’t mind or would prefer setting up the UI themselves, most tech literate people will be able to manage to build a Blynk template if the datastreams are configured already. Of course others will probably want to just have something finished and working out of the box. Managing their UI updates especially as an upcharge is good but also would take more manpower.

Could you please give more info about your use case? Why do you think your customers will/want make some setup of templates?

The background is we are taking data from older ‘dumb’ devices that have been used in certain industries for decades and turning them into ‘smart’ devices. Especially if the resources are spread over lots of locations, for example to see if your pump is working you have to be on site and look at it or wait until your storage tank overflows and you notice the problem. But we can let them see how often the pump runs, and the level in the tank so they can check the status of their sites anywhere.

Even when companies offer newer smart versions of the hardware nowadays, if the old infrastructure still works it is hard to justify spending tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars and downtime replacing everything just for a new model that does the same thing but can show you info on an app, vs a smaller installation and monthly fee to tap into the old hardware and get a customized real time and historical data feed without rebuying everything.

A further use case is right now the company that services certain infrastructure has to send someone on-site if a problem cant be resolved over the phone (and that can only be done if the customer explains the problem properly). So we can now give the service techs a real time view of what’s going on and they might be able to guide the customer on how to fix the problem without having to go on-site. So we could have a simplified customer facing template and then an advanced template that the tech can configure/edit to show what they want to see.

I’d say that people do like the ability to customize things how they want, and in our case they might have 100 things to monitor but only really care about 5 of them, and if they start having issues on some device or location they might want to adjust their dashboard and focus on that location so they can see it at a glance as they figure out what is wrong.
But some will just want to see a few fixed values and that’s it, and its easy for us to build the dashboard in that case.

I think it probably is the difference from most of your business customers building a fixed hardware device that they want to mass produce (I assume) and has a limited scope of data it needs to display, compared to my open ended and unique-to-each-customer use case where they are reaching out to us looking for a customized solution. As long as we can get the data off the hardware and set up a basic interface showing that they can see the data on their phone now they are happy, and being able to customize it themselves, in my opinion, is actually a selling point!

Thanks for the details.

We have Pages for that - https://docs.blynk.io/en/blynk.apps/pages

Correct.

So in general you want not “template edit”, but “device dashboard edit”. Of course, it could be done via template edit, but I think it is more isolated to “dashboard” edit. Makes sense.

So, just to confirm - yes. This scenario is possible on business plan.