Door reed sensor

Hello everybody, I have a quick question.

All of my code is working correctly however I want to use eventor with notification widgets to alert me whenever my door is open or closed. The problem is I don’t know how I would make eventor do an equal to when the value reads back as text as seen in the code below seeing as I can only use a numerical value. Will i just have to change the text to a 1 or a 0? Thank you all for any help.

/* Comment this out to disable prints and save space */
#define BLYNK_PRINT Serial

#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleEsp8266.h>

bool current = 0;
bool previous = 1;

// You should get Auth Token in the Blynk App.
// Go to the Project Settings (nut icon).
char auth[] = "idrathernotsharethis";

// Your WiFi credentials.
// Set password to "" for open networks.
char ssid[] = "lol";
char pass[] = "lol";
void setup()
{
  // Debug console
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Blynk.begin(auth, ssid, pass);
  pinMode(14, INPUT_PULLUP); //DOOR
}

void switchstate(){
  current = digitalRead(14);
  if (current != previous){
    previous = current;
    if (current == LOW)
          {
              Blynk.virtualWrite(2, "Your door is closed.");
          }
          else
         {
               Blynk.virtualWrite(2, "Your door is open!");
         }          
  }
}
void loop()
{
  Blynk.run();
  switchstate();
}
1 Like

Actually I think I answered my own question, will this cause any issues with it getting stuck in a loop or timing out?

{
              Blynk.virtualWrite(2, "Your door is closed.");
              Blynk.notify("Door Closed");
          }
          else
         {
               Blynk.virtualWrite(2, "Your door is open!");
         }     Blynk.notify("Door Opened");     
  }

If the state keeps switching, perhaps some flood error issues and missed notifications (notifications have limits to how many times a second they can be called… see link below) becasue you have that check loop running hundreds of times a second. Break the switchstate() function call out of the main void loop() and use those timers I mentioned in another topic.

http://docs.blynk.cc/#widgets-notifications-push-notifications

Limitations :

• Maximum allowed body length is 120 symbols.
  • Only 1 notification per 15 seconds is allowed

Also check out this quick reference about timers…

https://playground.arduino.cc/Code/SimpleTimer

BlynkTimer is the same as the widely used SimpleTimer library, in that it works more elegantly than manually manipulating millis() and it is NOT dependent on a connection to a Blynk Server, and also fixes some minor issues with the original library.

A typical Interval Timer layout includes a definition, timer setup (pointing to a function) and a timer call in the void loop():

BlynkTimer Mytimer; // Sets up a timer object named Mytimer (could be any name)

Mytimer.setInterval(1000L, MyFunction);  // Goes in Setup() and will call the void MyFunction() every 1000 milis (one second - adjust to your needs).  Blynk Timer allows up to 16 of these same object named timers pointing to differing functions

void MyFunction() 
{
// Mytimer runs stuff here every 1000 millis (one second)
}

void loop()
{
Blynk.run();
Mytimer.run();  // Goes in the void loop() so the BlynkTimer library can run.
}

So what is the finished code? And also what is you hardware setup? I am new to this esp8266 thing.

@eskrei01 Hello. This is an older topic and not everyone wants to post “finished” code (as if code is ever finished :stuck_out_tongue: always a tweek here or there :smiley: ).

If you have a current issue, please create a new topic and supply details of your issue and/or question. Thank you.