Выбор между docker и java на Raspberry

Какой из вариантов сервера меньше будет грузить малину?

I don’t know anything about Docker, but on my lowly RPi3b I can run…

• VNC Server
  • Blynk Server
  • Many simultaneous Blynk clients, using various languages like Python and NodeJS that use GPIO for LEDs, Temp sensor, colour OLED display and even the PiCam with I2C lighting board.
  • Virtuino SE experimental device/server (that I am slowly writing in Python)
  • A simple file server
  • A Microsoft USB based GPS experiment (running 24/7)
  • And many other random programming and background tasks as I need to…

And it rarely passes 25% peak CPU load… so I would say in answer to your question… “It doesn’t matter when it is already so light duty” :slight_smile:

Well, I think java server is light enough, I use it too, but what’s the reason to develop the docker-contained version? Just in case? :slight_smile:

I honestly don’t know what it is or why :stuck_out_tongue: and never needed to look into it… so, sorry, nada clue.

Now you did it… I had to Google :open_mouth: … and from my 10 seconds of searching, I think the docker version is NOT for RPi at all, but for running Local Server on 3rd party Cloud Services???

And you failed. :wink:
https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-server#quick-local-server-setup-on-raspberry-pi (look for “Docker container setup”).

I did some experiments with the IOTStack dockerised version of Blynk server and TBH it was more trouble than it was worth, especially when it came to trying to get things like local storage to work.

Using Docker is like having a pre-built virtual machine running your local server, so it takes some of the hassle out of the initial configuration. Of course the down side is trying to delve into that virtual machine if you want to change anything.
IOTStack was meant to make the configuration files more accessible (the ‘guy with the Swiss accent’ did a video about it a while ago), but in reality it just made things messier in the end as far as I’m concerned.

Far easier just to do a clean OS build and server installation in my opinion.

Having said that, although I have a Pi running a local server sat on my desk at home, I’m still using the cloud server for my day to day Blynking.

Pete.

I use Blynk-Server in a Docker on my NAS…works like a charm.
The config & log resides on the NAS storage, outside of the container so it persists even when the Docker container gets lost.

Keeps things clean and tidy. I also have more flexibility and can run more than one instance and/or version concurrently, i.e. for testing and production use.

Docker can be enabled on a rPi, as far as I know…I use Docker on my odroid SoC gizmos as well.

Yep :innocent: But only in that I just didn’t care to look further… and honestly, still don’t :laughing:

Once my Java based Local Server was set, and it was easy to do, it has “just worked” for years. Only thing I did was update to Java11 a while back.