Development by community

While I am playing just a few days (that’s a few hours), I am quite happy with the general idea (I was one of Kicstart backers). Whoever it looks that many widget are missing, and a lot of things can be added (like setting widget properties from device etc.)
Why not open the widget developing framework for advanced users? I am sure that the project will gain a lot. And probably some way of rewording developers may be considered.

1 Like

I have been watching the Omega2 Kickstarter by Onion over the last few weeks. Finally took the plunge with a few days remaining and pledges are now close to $540K. Their target was just $15K.

With Blynk their target was $10K and they achieved $50K. Obviously Blynk is software and Onion is hardware but the other difference is the funding received for each project.

$50K is a relatively small amount especially when you think how well the project has developed.

Maybe it is time for Blynk to return to Kickstarter to take it to the next stage. I didn’t see the original Kickstarter campaign and I’m guessing many more Blynker’s didn’t.

Not sure how additional features could be made available to backers of a second Kickstarter campaign without them being available to all, but presumably there should be a way.

2 Likes

Well, I have no idea if Blynk founders are making any money yet (I hope they do). However, there is a good chance that by opening the framework to developers, the project (and company) will multiply its grow rate.
Just an idea,
I miss an input widget with number/letter pad (or use the phone touch keyboard), check box, ability to change properties (like change led to red in alarm state etc.), I would like to see a label as a simple string without the block around it (which consumes a lot of real estate on the screen), and more. I am sure meany people have good ideas.

Nevertheless, Blynk is a lot of fan.

Heh. I like your idea. However this is very unlikely to happen. First of all - because no one will contribute. Blynk libraries and server are open-source more than 1.5 years. And for that time we got 3 pull requests. This is less 0.1% of what was done.
Second - we try to make money on Blynk and we have progress here. Our competitors already using our libraries and server against us. Opening app code will kill Blynk for sure.

By the way this feature is already tested and will be released very soon.

2 Likes

Another Kickstarter campaign is an interesting option, we do think about it…
And we have what to offer! :wink:

1 Like

@vshymanskyy you have a very fine product that is helping many users get into ioT.

It is 18 months since KS1 and more and more people now know what ioT can do for them.

As @johanan points out there are lots of additional things we would like from Blynk. KS2 could speed up the process.

1 Like

I agree that it is difficult to setup a business model that will make money at the end of the day. You may be right that no one will contribute which is unfortunate. Maybe a new KS campaign is a better answer as suggested here.
A word of advice, if I may: There will always be competitors, and people who will use your ideas if they can. There is only tow practical ways to handle this:
1: Keep all your grate ideas in the drawer and don’t let anyone see or use them.
2: Make a product, sell and publish your inventions and ideas. Keep making the best product you can. Look forward and don’t be discourage by others that are behind you.

Which one do you prefer? I think the answer is clear…

I missed the first Kickstarter but love Blynk. I would definitely like to see another so I could get involved.

Sure. And we do our best here.

here is an example of another startup using Blynk library.
Cayenne claiming “World’s First Drag & Drop IoT Project Builder”

2 Likes

Oh well… What a lie! :confused:
Anyway I think we are the best, and we continuously improve!

1 Like

They could’ve at least mentioned it’s based on Blynk … this is one of the advantages/disadvantages situation of open source I guess.

-edit

Ow well, one line anyway …

don’t be angry , they are good enough to not removing your data from files header
`/**

• @file BlynkSimpleWiFly.h
  • @author Volodymyr Shymanskyy
  • @license This project is released under the MIT License (MIT)
  • @copyright Copyright © 2015 Volodymyr Shymanskyy
  • @date Jan 2015
  • @brief

*/
`

1 Like

Well, this is annoying,
However, I think it makes a better argument to find a way for collaboration. I am not sure what these guys are doing, but they are not hiding that they use the Blynk library.
They are already cloning you, why not try to join forces? there are no guarantees, but if it works you can grow faster.
Forget your ego, make lemonade from lemon.

1 Like

Done. New Android Release 1.14.0

return to Kickstarter - very good proposal

Great. Will check this evening.

A small problem:
this works:
//------------------------------
Blynk.setProperty(V9, “color”, vcolor[selected]);
//------------------------------------------------------
But this creates a server error:

#define TITLE V9
Blynk.setProperty(TITLE, “color”, vcolor[selected]);

//---------------------------------------
Please check.

Sorry I made a mistake, the problem is not with the #define, which is OK. The problem is when I try to change properties for 4 widgets ( if I do it for the first one only, everything works):
//-------------
Blynk.setProperty(TITLE, “color”, vcolor[selected]);
Blynk.setProperty(START_TIME_DISP, “color”, vcolor[selected]);
Blynk.setProperty(DURATION_DISP, “color”, vcolor[selected]);
Blynk.setProperty(DOW_DISP, “color”, vcolor[selected]);

What error do see and where exactly? Please show all your code. Or at least define of START_TIME_DISP, DURATION_DISP, etc.