Connecting Arduino Mega via ESP8266 to blynk-cloud (SSL)

Hello!

Is it possible to use SSL when connecting the Arduino (Hardware) using ESP8266 wlan module as a shield.

I’ve seen the SSL library when using in standalone mode but not as a shield.

If this is not possible, do you plan to write a SSL library for the shield mode?

P.S. Just to confirm; if i use Arduino with ESP8266 when connecting to blynk-cloud, the data is plane-text even when coming out of a wpa2 secured wlan router?

Kind regards.

I honestly don’t have the in depth knowledge about SSL… but I can take a edumacated guess

As in your case, the only SSL option I can see, BlynkSimpleEsp8266_SSL.h works only with Standalone ESP8266 setups

Thus, due the lack of SSL options with the esensual BlynkSimpleShieldEsp8266.h library for ESP as shield use, then probably NO, SSL is not available for ESP as shield use.

Well the WiFi signal is probably still encrypted via the WPA2, but in theory, someone with the equipment to scan your internet feed (e.g. your ISP, or that guy all dressed in black hanging around your telecom pole) might see the raw data… but really, if you are using Blynk for some pretty serious security stuff… then simply opt for the standalone ESP8266 method and use SSL :wink:

Well the problem is I need the pins from my mega for the sensors, not sure if i can make the esp8266 master and arduino slave or smthing.

Of course you can, take a look at the SoftwareSerial library.

Sure, try something like GitHub - madsci1016/Arduino-EasyTransfer: An Easy way to Transfer data between Arduinos and shuttle data back and forth from Arduino sketch on the Mega and Blynk on the ESP. Even has an I2C option.

Wouldn’t I lose the processing power of the mega if i use it as slave? Or is the eps8266 just sending data even when used as master device?

It would also be nice to hear what is the effort/complexity to port the esp8266 ssl standalone library to the esp shield library. (the ssl functionality)

The term Master and Slave are just for our reference… they are basically parallel MCUs doing their own thing, and treating each other as another data source.

Your information look to me like a promising workaround, worth a try.

Thank you @Gunner @Costas !

ESP’s have much more processing power than Mega’s. Less pins, but ESP is Goliath to the Mega David.

1 Like

But David won :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

No, ESP8266 doesn’t support SSL. You probably need an ESP32 or Raspberry Pi for that.

ESP8266 have had TLS 1.1 support for a few years, recently went up to TLS 1.2.

Sure there is but not as a shield, take a look in the blynk library:

https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-library/blob/master/src/BlynkSimpleEsp8266_SSL.h

Regards

@Cejfi don’t build a Blynk Moon lander app and then add SSL. Add SSL and then build the Moon lander app.
SSL is tough for an ESP and will fail if it has a thousand Moon lander libraries to handle.

The lunar mission used a command module computer designed at MIT and built by Raytheon, which paved the way to “fly by wire” aircraft.The so-called Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC) used a real time operating system, which enabled astronauts to enter simple commands by typing in pairs of nouns and verbs, to control the spacecraft. It was more basic than the electronics in modern toasters that have computer controlled stop/start/defrost buttons. It had approximately 64Kbyte of memory and operated at 0.043MHz.

Source: Apollo 11: The computers that put man on the moon | Computer Weekly

Think the esp should handle it :smile_cat:

1 Like

Lol, guess I was wrong. I always thought it wouldn’t work, But I’m not using it as shield and if someone wants to hack my lights… well, no biggy, LOL.

1 Like

Well before posting this topic I didn’t know that such a small modul (ESP8266) has more power than my Arduino mega, that is probably the reason why @Costas thinks I want to make a complex project aka moon lander. I think i will just replace my mega with the esp8266 and use it as the brain of my project (also known as standalone). I mean who would guess that such a small peace can be faster than the mega?!

Regards

1 Like

The Mega has never been flaunted as ‘faster’, just more memory and I/O… but still same old 16 MHz as standard Arduino boards of the day.

But as anyone old enough to remember the MHz wars of early PC’s, it got to a point where more MHz didn’t mean more power, sometimes even less… it was all about efficiency, storage, memory and I/O functionality. To me the Mega (and even UNO) is still full of potential and usefulness… even running Blynk :wink:

Well you know, it seems like the physical size of the mega deceived me…

When the Mega was introduced around 1965 is was a nice piece of kit.