Blynk video streaming success!

@Jamin thanks for the details.

So at the moment it looks like the common factor for working cams is either H264 or rtsp (or both).

1 Like

does anyone know how to trigger a push notification to turn on a light when ever Iā€™m in the room? Iā€™m using a nodemcu and have everything working with tasker and restask plugin. what materials would i need?

Youā€™re taking this thread way off topicā€¦

Make a new thread for your issue. Be sure to post all the info you can including type of sensors and all the code you have tried so far.

h264 is a codec can be otherwise understood as video format, while RTSP is just a protocol used to stream live video. Itā€™s kind of like mp4 encapsulator but for web. You need to actually check what kind of codec is used by your camera in RTSP stream. I bet Blynk only supports h264 and nothing else as natively itā€™s the only format supported on Android/iOS.

@conkerkh the details for the protocols and formats supported by Android (and Blynk) are covered at https://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html

Pretty much confirmed what I wrote before and adds a bit more. Might be the case that Blynk has no implementation of handling http stream I actually have no idea as i have no Android. But you can check all the details of your stream in VLC which will pretty much confirm for you whatā€™s the problem.

VLC is the defacto media player and goes far beyond the capabilities of an Android media player. Therefore a stream that plays with VLC doesnā€™t indicate it will work with Android.

i have but no one replied to it as of yet. thats why Iā€™m asking you guys.

Next time, just jump your thread back to the top.

You can use VLC to see what the container contains as for video and audio codec if you dont know whats your camera outputā€¦ RTSP is not a video codec

Hi,
I also tried to use the widget Video Streaming but the video doesnā€™t appear in the app.
I put the URL http://addressIP/videostream.cgi?user=xxx&pwd=xxx&resolution=320240&rate=1
so it is with 20 fps (rate = 1), is it the right rate? and with 320
240 resolution, but i can also put 640*480 resolution. I use a camera IP by Foscam (FI8918W). Do you know if I use the right request? And if I use the Blynk App, the ESP8266 and my camera IP in a local network, do I really need to change the port of my router?

Could you give me more details ? Which url did you put in the widget Video Streaming? and what steps did you do?

Thanks for your answer

@aude1248 we use a Foscam clone.

videostream.cgi is not acceptable with Android but it can be done as indicated by our ā€œFoscamā€ KittyCam day and night shots below.

The shots above are actually accessed over the internet and it takes quite a bit of doing. I found it even more difficult to do the same across our LAN but eventually found a workaround.

The solutions we use to get the streams are quite complex and require additional free software and free online servers (not for the LAN streams though) including some Python code thrown in for good measures. One of the free servers also gave me a 24 hour ban as they didnā€™t think KittyCam was suitable for their servers :joy:

After extensive testing I can now watch all the UK Freeview TV Channels here in Cyprus via the Blynk video widget and similar from other countries around the world. Broadcasting rights is a bit of a grey area so Iā€™ll not say too much on this topic.

The easiest fix for most users is to pick up a camera that works with Android spec at https://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html

Ok, thanks a lot for your answer.
So it is not possible to do it with a Foscam IP camera?
Unfortunately I would not have the time to try this widget with an other camera because it is for a project that i have to deliver very soon.

@aude1248 does your project use a Wiindows / Mac / Linux ā€œcomputerā€ and how quickly do you have to deliver the project?

It is for next Friday (the 4 november) but i also have to write a text to explain it, so i canā€™t by a new camera ā€¦
Thanks a lot

and i use the Arduino IDE (on Windows) to programm the NodeMCU ESP8266 module

a school, college or University assignment?

college (just before university), Iā€™m in Switzerland

but your project isnā€™t supplied with a ā€œcomputerā€, just the ESP, right?

is a video stream important for the project or like me you just want to watch the TV via Blynk when you have nothing to do :grinning:

haha no, the project was to create a connected doorbell. I wanted to make the camera send a mail with pictures when somebody ring at the door. I did it with the sound detection alarm of the camera (because it detects the sound of the doorbell, but it is not something i have done with a code, but now i use a lcd display to write a message that we choose in the Blynk app and when sombody rings at the door, i also did a code to make that a notification is sent (also with Blynk), so there is other things which work well