Blynk security for long time period

Hello Blynkers!

I am making home automation project with Blynk app. I plan to control all of my lights in my new house through Blynk. Because I will embed my project in the walls of my house which are bricks (Europe house) I need to make sure if the Blynk servers won’t fall down for couple of years, if you know what I mean. So, should I do it, is it secure so I don’t need to take out my project from the walls and program it again let’s say for five years?

I hope you understood me and thanks in advance.

Kind of a silly question… can you be sure you will not fall down in the years to come?

It is the nature of our unforeseen future to be unforeseen :wink: I am sure that even Blynk can’t predict the future.

Blynk is in constant development… So I personally do not recommend you brick up your devices and expect them to live unchanged for years without any modifications.

I think if you set up a local Blynk server it may be possible to run your Project continuously for 5 years. Your local server will not be effected by major server updates and you have complete control over your server to ensure it is constantly running.

1 Like

@maxst This is an incorrect statement that could lead to issues down the road… first off, OTA could fail, requiring USB hookup, or even simple hardware failure requiring replacement… happens all the time.

Secondly, Blynk’s App is NOT open sourced and is also in constant development… Blynk relies on a relatively matched set of App <–> Server <–> Library, so if one or more of those starts getting out of version sync, then issues start popping up.

In theory, one could also stop updating the App, but one mistaken autoupdate could shut down an old system… this has also happened before, to others in this forum.

@Hamza_Zunic Lock down at your own risk… but be prepared to resolve issues on your own as most solutions require keeping up to date.

1 Like

@Gunner Thank you for your help Gunner! I must find another solution.

You can reprogram a decent iOT system while it’s embedded in the wall. Either local or internet OTA updates.

unless you control every part of the whole system, you cannot be sure it will be around in 5 years.
You could install your own Blynk server for sure, but if your system uses the app, you are now also at the mercy of Blynk and your phone app store also being around in 5 years. If you are not in charge of your wifi SSID and password, then that is also an additional risk.

I think you need to build in something like a power socket box, so that it can be opened and things switched out if needed.

1 Like