Blynk over local network with no internet access

Hey guys,
I’m working on a project and got everything done with no big Problems. But i realised, that Blynk communicates over internet with my ESP8266 nodeMCU.
My problem is: where i’m going to use my project, i don’t have internet access (a bandroom deep down under the ground).
So i did a little research and found out, that it could be possible to communicate only over the local network (this wouldn’t be a problem, because i can easily setup a hotspot with my phone).

So i found the option to choose WI-FI as the connection type (Blynk App -> “the Project” -> Project settings -> Devices (nodeMCU) -> nodeMCU -> connection type). Now my question: Is that what i’m looking for, or do i have to know anything else? do i need to change some things in my arduino programm?
how about the “AUTH TOKEN”?

I’m going to install six nodeMCUs in total, that means i’m going to have six different projects in my blynk app, right?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Greg

@IOFGreg you need to install the Blynk server on a local device.

See https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-server

i see,
it looks like i’ll have to get a seperate device to make that work. (i’m guessing it isn’t possible over my samsung phone or iPad).
i think i’ll go with the arduino, or would you recommend smth else?

damn it… i meant a raspberr pi not a arduino

Your server needs to be something like a Raspberry Pi or Onion Omega. Any machine that runs java but not an Arduino device.

Then something like a WeMos or the NodeMCU that you already have.

Depends on yours needs. You could add all six devices to one project:

Hello Costas.

Can you give more information about Onion Omega for to install the blynk server ???.

alright, thanks :slight_smile:
i think i’m able to make that work

okay thanks

i think this will get too complicated, because they all do the same thing, but i have to be able to control them completely seperate. that would mean i’d have to rewrite the programm, so they don’t bother each other.

See the tutorial at https://wiki.onion.io/Tutorials/blynk-library

I’m still waiting for my 5 off Omega 2’s and 2+'s to arrive.
Edit: My Omega’s have just arrived at the local airport so I should receive them one day next week.

Multiple devices in one Project works quite well as long as you are not using any of the more advanced Blynk functions.

What features do you mean?

Not exactly. You may find Device SElector feature useful for your case - http://docs.blynk.cc/#widgets-interface-device-selector

I was thinking of Webhooks in particular but it looks that is also now included in Multiple Devices and Device Selector.

okay good, i’ll havee a look as soon as everything is set up

So now that i’ve made my decisions, i have another question:

I’ll be making one project on my blynk app with the device selector. and i’m going to have six identical nodeMCUs with completely identical arduino Programms.

• i didn’t quite get it with the auth tokens, when using a device selector. are they all going to have the same one?
  • if i’m guessing right, i’m going to see a drop-down list with my 6 nodeMCUs. is there a possibility that i can hold them apart in the blynk app? or do i have to find a way, to name them differently? (like in the arduino Programm?)

It will be 6 different tokens.

Correct.

You name each NodeMCU in the Project (e.g, MCU#1, MCU2 … MCU6).

ah now i get it. this should work out.

yeah, i just found it out too… :joy: i din’t see it first because i named my first device “nodeMCU” and then later on i didn’t realise this was the name i gave it ^^ but it should all make sense now.

thanks a lot !!

Thanks Costas.

Please tell us how you do with your new Onion Omega, I am also very interested in it to be able to use it as a server for Blynk.

Greetings BlackTiger.

One question how much memory is needed to install the Blynk server ???.