Blynk on Ardublockly - a visual programming editor

Hi there,

I am working on a fork of Protoblockly that is currently meant to support the Medusa product line ( Grove System from Seeed Studio alternative) we are building that uses the SparkFun ESP32 Thing. We are currently expanding the functionality incorporating all of the modules we are building in addition to this we also want to incorporate Blynk into it to enable beginners to get started with Blynk.

I wanted to take a quick opinion of the community here to understand:

• What your opinions of the blocks I am proposing are
  • If possible simplify it even further.

To begin with I want to cover:

• Blynk setup
  • LED widget setup
  • set LED widget (on, off, brightness)
  • Blynk write (vPin) block
  • read parameter

These blocks should cover LED and buttons, which is a good starting point.

Download

Note:

• Currently the boards available with support for Blynk are the ESP8266 & ESP32. You will need to select the board in preferences first before adding the blocks.
  • The Blynk blocks can be found under the Display category

Please vote to help us make it better

• Intuitive
  • Not Intuitive

0 voters

4 Likes

Blocks Available

Blynk Setup

Link to view block

This block is pretty straight forward, enter the network name, password and auth code to connect to the network and blynk server.

Blynk LED widget setup

Link to view set LED widget block

Personal Opinion: the text phrasing needs to be improved

Dropdown led1 is a variable name which will be reused. The block attached would be a virtual pin dropdown menu, refer below:

Link to view virtual pin dropdown block

Set LED widget

Link to view block

The block attached would be one of the native Arublockly blocks thereby making it easier to transition from Arduino to Blynk, HIGH/LOW (on/off) or number block (brightness)

Read parameter

Link to view block

Sample Code

Download sample code

Reserved

Reserved

very good idea!

Thank you, do you find the blocks to be intuitive? or do they need any changes?

I have to try blynk block next weekend

I think, it will be not easy to use for me, because I am used to code with #C

but that sounds interesting .

thank you

Wow! Really cool!

Timers and virtual pins are the must. If you can incorporate a timer + virtualwrite into a single block - that would be a great UX (or DX - developer experience)

Next I would consider

• Virtual read
  • notifications

Amazing effort! Thank you for that!

I am just going to start with Blynk on ardublockly its not implemented yet. I will have a link posted here for those interested once it is ready.

One block that I had missed but planned for was BLYNK_WRITE()

The block would be:

I will get right onto the virtualwrite and timer once these blocks are ready.

1 Like

@emil01 this is great and gonna be easy, ease of writing or typing bunch of code. I’ve been trying this 2 years past but unfortunately im not able to link the Blynk code to visual ardublock. very sad, and now this good news if it is possible now.

@Blynk_Coeur @Pavel I have made the first version with the blocks mentioned. Haven’t had the time to fully test it.

You can download it here: ProtoBlockly - Blynk
Do follow the instructions for configuring Ardublockly/ProtoBlockly for the first time

Note: Currently the boards available with support for Blynk are the ESP8266 & ESP32. You will need to select the board in preferences first before adding the blocks

@Castle do test the from the link above and let me know

OK I will test tomorrow tks

@emil01 what about the sketch header how we can input that thing like i.e below.

#include <Blynk.Timer.h>
#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
#include <WiFiManager.h>

@Castle You have two options:

1. Edit in Arduino IDE
Here you would be building the blocks in Ardublockly once completed open it in Arduino IDE and edit the headers alone.

2. Edit the Ardublockly source code
You will need to modify the source code of Ardublockly, available at GitHub and then compile it.