Blynk crashing Particle Photon

I have been using Blynk for a couple of years now - largely for creating demo videos for my company’s IoT hardware products. However, last weekend, I ran across a new and discouraging behavior while attempting to use Blynk with a Particle Photon on a project I was developing at home.

I’ve used Blynk with Particle devices many times in the past without issue - including for a couple of days last week when I was first playing with this new idea. But then over the last weekend, everything stopped working, and I started to get this “crashing” behavior.

After spending some time trying to isolate the issue and boing back and forth with different versions of Device OS on the Photon, I have a very repeatable process to make it fail. The failing/crashing symptoms are:

• Photon disconnects from WiFi
  • Cyan status LED switches to slow dark blue Listening Mode blinking
  • Then status LED transitions to rapid dark blue blinking pattern
  • WiFi credentials are erased, and I need to go through the WiFi setup process again AND re-flash the program with a safe program (Tinker) that does not start Blynk. Otherwise, the process will just repeat itself.

Here’s a video of the setup and steps that cause the crash: https://youtu.be/flr_34Bg4Fk

Some additional info:

• Hardware: Particle Photon
  • Photon Device OS Version: 0.7.0
  • Blynk Library: 0.5.4
  • Blynk Server (Not local)

The code is from the Getting Started code builder on Blynk.cc:

/* Comment this out to disable prints and save space */
#define BLYNK_DEBUG
#define BLYNK_PRINT Serial

#include <blynk.h>

// You should get Auth Token in the Blynk App.
// Go to the Project Settings (nut icon).
char auth[] = "[REMOVED FOR POST]";

void setup()
{
  // Debug console
  Serial.begin(9600);

delay(5000); // Allow board to settle
  Blynk.begin(auth);
}

void loop()
{
  Blynk.run();
  // You can inject your own code or combine it with other sketches.
  // Check other examples on how to communicate with Blynk. Remember
  // to avoid delay() function!
}

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome!

Thanks!
Jason

Try the Blynk 0.5.1 library. I’ve had troubles uploading with 0.5.3 with Particle web IDE. Haven’t tried the 0.5.4 yet.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that, but I got the same result.

I appreciate the idea!

I don’t think Blynk has published any changes recently… has Particle? How about local PSU or WiFi changes?

Good thought. And in fact, I think this is most likely a Photon issue and not Blynk because Blynk has been rock solid for me for a long time. However, I wanted to post here in case anyone has seen something like this before.

Solved this problem by upgrading my Photon to DeviceOS 0.8.0-rc12 at the recommendation of a response I got on the Particle Forum thread:

Jason

1 Like