Blynk 2.0 Local server

Dmitry, hi, Blynk 2.0 is very similar to the tuya smart platform now. (TuyaOS Pro-Code Development | Tuya Smart) Or is there a fundamental difference? In TUya, for example, there is no way to change the device software, only the configuration of ready-made devices. And in most cases, this is enough. Please understand me correctly, I am currently developing devices for Blynk myself and now I stop finding the pros and cons of one platform from another, they have become as identical as possible. Or am I wrong?

Unfortunately automation in the web console is not available to check the correct configuration

Very strange, Tuya look like Blynk , even the android app :thinking::thinking:

@Yury thanks for the details. The issue is located. As a quick fix - you can change the datastream max value to 1 and it will work in that case. It’s an app issue, we’ll fix it with the next release.

Regarding Tuya. To be honest - I don’t know. However, after your comment, I looked into it and I must say you’re right. We are very similar to Tuya. And Tuya is like 10 years upfront by a set of features :slight_smile:. But it has a downside, UI is so bloated with dozens of different things - it’s very hard to get started right away. At least it was hard for me.

I can’t answer you - what are the main differences because I don’t know what Tuya has. From the very quick overview, Blynk has more granular permissions, Blynk doesn’t force you to use Blynk firmware, Blynk has lower price for small businesses. But this is what I found during the 10 minutes of playing with it. And the main risk of using tuya, of course, is political.

Hello. Is there a way to link with Node-Red? Currently, I want to link to the Node-Red server but I don’t know how to connect to it

The Blynk ws contrib for Node-Red isn’t currently working with Blynk 2.0

You can send data to Blynk from Node-Red using the Blynk HTTP API, but you can’t use this method to watch virtual pins for changes, unless you pill the virtual pin with a timer.

Pete.

It is impossible not to agree with this! Do the Blynk servers have a geographical distribution? Are there European, Asian, American servers for clients of different countries, as do most multinational companies?

https://fra1.blynk.cloud/ – Frankfurt
https://lon1.blynk.cloud/ – London
https://ny3.blynk.cloud/ – New York
https://sgp1.blynk.cloud/ – Singapore
https://blr1.blynk.cloud/ – Bangalore

The server region could be found in the right bottom corner of the web interface.

None in China!

Pete.

1 Like

That’s correct. Google Play is banned. In order to publish the app in china stores, you need to provide the stores (white stores) with private keys for the certificates, as far as I know, also you need to go through a long certification process. In other words, china government should be able at any point to get all your data when they need to.

1 Like

There must be hundreds of millions of devices that are connected to cloud servers in China.
Often makes me wonder what would happen if the Chinese government turned on all the WiFi connected aircon units, kettles, toasters, heaters and smart sockets at the same time. Should probably be enough to knock out the electricity grids in most western countries, which is a pretty good way to soften-up your targets in advance of a military attack.

Pete.

2 Likes

Dmitry and Peter, these are strong arguments in favor of Blynk. At the moment, I have one device in my project for receiving commands from the phone, and for transmitting commands between devices use a modified modbus protocol, but this is inconvenient when there are no wires and it is difficult to configure for the end user. I read in the forum that this is planned, but you can more accurately specify the implementation period of automatization between different devices (if device 1 is a condition And then device 2 is a command B)

Thank you for your answers

I think in general - nothing will happen. Most of the devices are just add more comfort and usability. They are not critical infrastructure. Otherwise, why do they connect via the internet in the first place :slight_smile:?

You can do that already. Right now automation doesn’t support this scenario:

if device1.v1 == condition then send to device2.v2 value of device1.v1

in other words you can’t resend the value from device1 to device2, you can only specify exact value you want to send:

if device1.v1 == condition then send to device2.v2 value 1

Not critical infrastructure, but most power grids can’t cope with a sudden surge of demand. Kettles, toasters etc are mostly 3kw and the surge created by turning them all on at once would be high.
Often when a power outage occurs and the grid company tries to re-connect the power once the problem is fixed, the power will go on for a second then off again, because all the devices in every home are still switched on and surge created by powering them up at the same time is great. So, they either brig the power up one phase at a time, or by one small area at a time by controlling the local substations.

Most military installations will have independent power supplies, but knocking out all domestic power in a country knocks-out all communication with the public, and causes traffic chaos etc. pretty soon the streets are gridlocked and that gridlocks the military too.

It’s a good plot for an apocalyptic movie at least!

Pete.

Ah, from that point of view - yeah, agree. However, this type of attacks is more complex, as it will require to know what control command should be send to each device in that case. But that’s just a question of available resources that attacker may have.

But if they are controlled via an app, like Tuya for example, then that bit is easy if you are the Chinese government and have access to the hosting servers and have the data on how the app works.
It may not even require hacking, as the government may require the access to be built-in.

BTW, I’m not a conspiracy theorist at all, I’m just commenting on the potential for this to be done. It’s interesting that many countries have banned Huawei from 5G infrastructure contracts over similar concerns though :thinking:

Pete.

1 Like

Yes, in the case of the tuya, the task is really simple.

Yeah. I know also, that a lof high tech equipment is remotely controlled and can be turned off at any time if required.

PeteKnight, please don’t tell the Chinese! :sunglasses:

Dmitry, the last question for today, is there a ready-made recipe for how to combine sleep and AIR update in one sketch. Is this possible?

@Yury maybe @vshymanskyy could help here.