Blynk 1.0 (legacy) retirement timeline announced!

Already asked more than one thousand times, so I don’t think we should expect any changes :wink:

@ltonini80 your post was flagged by the system as requiring approval before being released, and I was in two mind about it, because it doesn’t really meet the forum guidelines
However, I have released it, but please be be aware of the guidelines for any future posts that you make.

I guess that pricing is a matter of perspective, but the Plus plan, which is what most ‘makers’ probably need, cost less than a typical subscription to Amazon Prime, Netflix, Spotify etc.

You should also have received a promo code for a 50% discount on your first year’s subscription.

As far as migrating C++ code from Blynk Legacy to Blynk IoT is concerned, it certainly isn’t a case of having to re-do everything. In fact, it can be as simple as adding three extra lines of code to the beginning of the sketch and re-compiling using the latest version of the Blynk library.

Pete.

Everything in this world is relative.
I understand that for most countries in Europe and for USA, Blynk rates are insignificant.
But there are many countries for which even the Plus tariff is very noticeable, and the Pro tariff is not realistic at all.
My subjective opinion is that Blink’s authors should understand this better than anyone else, since they themselves are from Ukraine.
But this is my opinion, I do not consider it the only correct one and I do not impose it on anyone.

2 Likes

I’ve 107 Widgets for 7 device all buy!!

And i’ve 700 energy in my account.

I bought a lifetime supply of energy just before it was announced that Blynk IoT wouldn’t use energy…

but that’s how things go sometimes.

Pete.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

2022-06-20_182532

But mine was on the cloud servers, not local :confused:

Pete.

1 Like

I have my water pump to my house controlled by Blynk. With spotty internet, I run it on my local Blynk server. Even though I am cheap, money isn’t so much the issue, but migrating to an external server really isn’t the way I want to go. Fortunately my code will run the pump regardless of whether Blynk is connected or not but my low pressure and low water alarms won’t work without Blynk. I think I’m going to try to hold out with the legacy product and side loading the apk on future phones. It’s just working so well though that the rub seems to be don’t fix what’s not broken . . . At least not broken yet.

Phillip

1 Like

The problem is not that it doesn’t work. The problem is that it works for free)

Actually, I had originally paid for the power to put it on their server so it wasn’t quite free, but I get that all software is heading toward the subscription plans to keep the money flowing. Just wish their was a local server option even if it did cost.

Legacy Local Server was the best gift Blynk has given us and I don’t think they will repeat the same with Blynk IoT. Imagine all legacy Blynk users without Local Server … They would forcibly and with no other choice buy Blynk IoT …:slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that if they do then it will be on very different terms, with either a lifetime licence or the need to occasionally connect to the internet an verify/renew the licence.
There would need to be safeguards to prevent people using it as a commercial product, and this is one of the biggest pitfalls of legacy local server from Blynk’s point of view.

Pete.

2 Likes

Blynk changing business model is fully understandable.

Those running businesses depending on a free software without proper license agreements just have to bite the dust.

What i believe is important however.

• Find a better way to “take care of customers paid for Legacy”. I think current strategy is poor and lacks confidence. I feel a bit cheated upon and would normally hesitate to throw in more money to such a company.

Well, I have anyway … as I now subscribe to PLUS. (hrm)

Point is, you should at least give a Subscription and transfer ALL payments spent on Legacy to pay the first month’s. Then you have at least “paid back”.
Your discount system is also a way, but the offered time period was far too limiting and too early. I was never even ready to switch then. (And i have paid quite much for Legacy.)

You have mentioned to come with a new offer. I am waiting.

And I expect a refund/discount covering ALL my Legacy payments.

//Keep up the good work.

1 Like

You should have received a notification to the Legacy app, with a discount code for a 50% discount on your first year of subscription to Plus or Pro.
Whether it’s possible to retrospectively apply that subscription to someone in your position I don’t know.

Isn’t that rather like taking your old car with 500000km on the clock back to the dealer and saying “I’d like to exchange this for the latest model, but I expect to get a discount equivalent to what I paid for it originally”?

You’ve had many years of cloud hosting from Blynk, in exchange for one-off energy payments, as well as frequent app, library and cloud server updates. Those energy payments that Blynk received from us during that period probably didn’t even cover their hosting costs or their personnel costs to maintain and update those cloud servers.

Blynk’s commercial sales have in effect subsidised our use of the cloud servers for the whole of this time, and paid for the feature developments that have been added over the years.

Pete.

2 Likes

There is one more thing: this is testing, finding bugs and their detailed description. This helps developers and is a kind of payment for using the application. At least this is how I justify the free use of Blynk for myself))
Of course, this is not enough to get full functionality and an unlimited scale of projects.
But how much to get is the question)

1 Like

Sorry, can’t agree with you here. 5$ monthly is nothing, even in Ukraine.

It would be nice if you bring back the ability to add device at cost(5$/device) for free plan with CAP of 4-5 devices. This would be really helpful for makers.

Gosh!! I did not receive this promo code!!! I would definitely subscribe. I also think that 5 dollars is not much and with 50% I would subscribe even though I don’t need the plus plan at the moment.

@mvrinaldi check your PMs. :wink: