Blynk 1.0 (legacy) retirement timeline announced!

I read the comments and see that Ukraine is far from the only country where the exchange rate makes it very difficult to pay for the Blynk tariff.
However, it is not noticeable that the Authors were interested in the opinion of society :wink:

1 Like

as everything on life, changes are hard to adopt, even when the old system is working fine. " if something works, Why I need to change". Blynk team is pushing us to change to the new business model.

For companies and small business is a really great approach to have a good IOT solution and as well subscription fees that assure the business continuity.

But for makers and enthusiastā€¦ it is other history. as a hobby to maintain some high grade of home automatization, as well learn something of programing. the ENERGY solution from Blynk legacy was a very nice approach! Now what happened with people like me whoā€™s spend some amount of money? (more than 55 items like sliders, gauges, buttons chartsā€¦ it is a lot of energy purchased).

With a realistic point of view of a business model, it is really hard to find a balanced method to pay a fair price for commercial use, personal use and academic one. As a maker, I will prefer some kind of free plan or pay per use more updatable to the personal use. But it is only a personal opinion. It is hard to find this due to commercial and personal use it is not easy to separate it.
well, as I prior said: letā€™s update to changes and hope that blynk team take in account the makers for future pricing offers or plans

3 Likes

Iā€™m running both blynk 1 and 2 on the same board ESP32, with the last update of Blynk IoT my project is not working anymore and I already informed the developper on another thread to find a solution I hope soon.

Iā€™m using Blynk IoT as boot loader for Blynk Legacy, in this way I can use any of them anytime until the dead date of 31th dicembre 2022 then I will see if Blynk IoT is enough safe and secure for my project without issues or not.

For now I boot with Blynk IoT then I switch to Blynk Legacy with a sw button on Blynk IoT itself.
Blynk Legacy is working perfect since many years and I never had any issue.

i have minimum knowledge about blynk code, but, its succed for make a couple projec for my smoker and else from youtube tutorial,
what i saw new blynk its more expensive, and still a little sample at youtube, make me confuse to migration at new platform
sad to hear this

1 Like

If you only have a couple of devices, and can live with the limited range of widgets, then the free version might be fine.

Pete.

I am really sad, that the legacy server will be shutdown.
My programming skills are limited and I loved the easy way to get thinks onlineā€¦ I tried with Blynk IoT and that was really complicated.

I think about installing a local legacy server and only change the adress and key in my private projects - will this be enough?

Is there an info how long a local server will work? I read, that the app will disapear from the app store, this is no problem.
But will there be any other ristrictions that prevent my local server and app to work on?
Many thanks in advance.

As I said earlierā€¦

Itā€™s difficult to provide specific advice without more info, and you should probably start a new topic for that, but as far as the sketch is concerned it may be as simple as adding two additional lines of code to the top of your sketch, updating the Auth token and re-compiling with the latest version of the Blynk library.

Pete.

If you think that then creating your own server must be like climbing the Himalaya for you :wink:
Blynk IOT can be as simple as creating a new project with adding a device in the webconsule and making some datastreams. Then add 2 lines of code to your existing code and upload it to your device like you did before.

1 Like

It is not as simple as it seems though. Because if our code has third party lib that work with lower esp core versions, then the new blynk wont compile at all.

Like 2.4.2 is stable with most lib and even blynk.
But the new blynk lib compiles only above 2.7.0 to 3.x.x core. And this shall mess up things if we straight away migrate.

The code which was working flawlessly on legacy shall not work with the new platform.

This is what i have faced. But eventually i got things to work after scratching my head. People with no knowledge of coding and having to copy paste a code from some random YouTube video may not work right away. And these people have hard time migrating to new platform.

1 Like

dear blynk team,
i am using blynk 1.0 , and dont know how to create new code for blynk 2.0, please help me in this matter .

Start by reading the documentation

https://docs.blynk.io/en/blynk-1.0-and-2.0-comparison

Pete.

A post was split to a new topic: Need help migrating

Hi, iā€™m a student in a college and i was working on a project after a tutorial, the tutorial used blynk legacy and when i downloaded it i could register as you know why, so can you help me by any chance with your account, i will not graduate if i didnā€™t complete that project.

Nobody will give their login credentials to their account. You canā€™t even think about it.

Instead what i suggest to do is, start migrating your old project to the new platform. If you have difficulties during the process you can post the code and seek help.

The only problem i have is the gps stream button how do i send my phone location to the project the old verssion had that button but the new one no, can you help me with that

@Mohamed_00 please donā€™t ask the same question in two different places, it gets very messy when people start responding in both places.

If anyone wants to resp) d to @Mohamed_00ā€™s question please do it in this topicā€¦

Pete.

Would it be possible to keep the legacy server & app as a paid subscription?

At the very least that would give more time to migrate - but would also help all the people who would just like what theyā€™ve built to continue working.

1 Like

@SimonR that has been asked a thousand times before, and itā€™s just not going to happen.
Blynk have stopped supporting and developing the Legacy system and will turn the servers off at the end of the year.
This has been on the horizon for quite some time now, and you have 6 months to migrate. Iā€™d spend that time wisely, rather than hoping that there is going to be some sort of reprieve.

Pete.

That may be - but I only found out about this yesterday. Since everything has been working fine for years, there was no reason to look on this forum.

I only found out about it after someone on another forum asked for help getting Blynk2 to work. He, like I suspect a lot of users, had no real understanding of it & just copy & pasted code to make his work. You could argue he should spend the time learning to code properly - but thatā€™s a steep climb for many people.

Once I looked at it, it was really simple to migrate - but for him, it seemed overwhelming. We have sorted his problem now, it seemed to be down to the core version of his ESP32 - but thatā€™s a deep dive for copy & paste programmers!

There must be many others in similar positions - so I thought it worth asking the question.
After all, the more people ask, the more likely something is to happen. Maybe if itā€™s asked a thousand more times, it will!

1 Like

I hope your company has to go through what I go through in the coming months. Over the years I have paid every single euro for your widgets and developing sensors to make my home automation. Now I would have to redo everything to switch to the new version with exorbitant prices. I prefer to redo everything and switch to a new product, perhaps open source and which does not behave in this shady way.

2 Likes