Beehive connected

@Patto if you are looking to buy an ESP32 for this project then take a look at this video, and maybe the earlier video where other boards were compared…

You’ll see that there is a big difference in deep sleep power consumption between various ESP32 dev boards.

Pete.

1 Like

thanks Peter
You seem to have a font of knowledge so hopefully you wont to too antsy at me for my lack of knowledge.

Far from it. I love to see people doing read world projects like this, and my father was a beekeeper, so extremely interested in using this type of technology.

Pete.

I’m thinking the Lolin D32 Pro V2. great deep sleep. I’ll start looking at hardware now and see how I go.

1 Like

Hello from a young beekeeper !!
I tried to fix it with esp32
But unfortunately I could not understand the electronic design
Can you help me more to be able to build it?
Thank you very much greetings from Greece

Hello,

Yes I can help you, but I need more information about sensors you want. You can may be used my PCB?

Regard :wink:

christophe

HI , first of all thanks for details about your project .
Need to ask if you have ready pcb Like yours in stok i am really interesting to made the same and add i to my beefarm .

Thx
Kostas

Salut,
je suis apiculteur avec une vingtaine de ruches et ton projet est formidable.
j’aimerai faire un projet plus simple pour suivre mes ruches à distance (5km), le poids avec alarme de 500 grammes et une alarme de déplacement (vol).
Sur batterie au début, ensuite avec panneaux solaire. Je suis bon bricoleur, mais nul pour réaliser la partie informatique et de programmage de la carte Arduino ou autre.
Je cherche des personnes qui pourrai m’aider ou me former pour réaliser mon projet.
Bonne journée et prenez soin de vous.

Gus

Thank you christophebl for sharing your project. I’m a beekeeper interested in digitising my hives as well. I started with the ‘solar powered wifi weather station’ and tried to add a HX711 with load cells. Would you please share your project code?

@ESFnl I’d suggest that you start by scrolling up to the top of this project and reading it thoroughly.
There are lots of hardware changes since the project began, and plenty of code and links to GitHub code repositories in there.

Once you decide which hardware version suits your needs best, then I’d suggest that you post a much more specific question.

Pete.

1 Like

I’m reading all sorts of forum topics on this subject for many months now. I’m not a programmer and a beginner in micro computers and electrical engineering. I already missed the spring growth of the bee colonies due to my struggles in Arduino IDE :slightly_frowning_face:
This is the frame I’ve welded (lying upside down).

My problem maybe is due to the voltage of hardware parts? The solar powered weather station is running on one 18650 battery (3,7 V). I was wondering if in the project as described here you are using 5V for the HX711 or used 3,3 V?
If this might be my problem in connecting the load cell to my Blynk app, I’m affraid I cannot solder such a tiny component as described here.

1 Like

If you look at the diagram in post #1, you’ll see that it’s 3.3v

Pete.

Hi Esfnl,

My project is using 3.3V, with this voltage your reading is less precise but more or less 15 gr is perfect for me. Do not hesitate if you have any questions, you can send me a private message and I will answer them ;).

Christophe

:laughing:

Hi,
I have worked with similar ideas as you have presented with the beehive connected with wifi.
Nice work and great that you share your knowledge with others!

However I have a problem, my output from the HX711, starts by showing 1 kg instead of 0 kg. In my case I´m using the BlynkEdgent.h and HX711.h

When I calibrated the load cell I used the HX711_ADC.h and I received an output of 0 kg.

Have you experienced this fault previously in your project?

I have noted that once in the beginning you have posted a weight correction:

Could this be a way forward for me, a weight correction, or have I made some mistake with the code?

Some of my code:

[Unformatted code removed by moderator]

//Andy

@cimman please edit your post, using the pencil icon at the bottom, and add triple backticks at the beginning and end of your code so that it displays correctly.
Triple backticks look like this:
```

Pete.

Hi Cimman,

Yes weightCorrection it used to adjust the weight of only the hive, for example you have a hive support where you have your load sensor. I just want to remove this weight.

christophe

Hi Cristophe,
Thank you for the replay. Regarding the weightCorrection. In the second version of code (using for Lora) you don’t seem to use the weightCorrecion. How come?
Best regards,
Andy