Are You Looking For Iso-inspiration . . . Some Simple, Some Not So . . . Blynk

Hi Blynkers,

I’ve been using Blynk for a couple of years now as a hobbiest who is trying to remember stuff he knew years ago . . . then forgot . . . and is now rediscovering . . . anyway, here are some of the ongoing projects I’ve made. Happy to discuss/share specific details if anyone is interested.

All my projects incorporate ArduinoOTA to make updating easier, and as I have three WiFi network segments throughout my house, yard and garage I always include MAC, IP, SSID, RSSI for each device. With so many devices this makes it very easy to identify the correct one when I want to update.

I also include an integer to display testOTA, its just a number that I always change before I do an OTA upload. Some sensor values don’t always change immediately and the OTA update process can be a little flaky . . . this is a quick and easy way to see if the OTA update completed successfully . . . the testOTA value will change when the devices restarts if success.

Weather (WXR) Station
Based on many, many www examples, and particularly Blynk examples. BME280 sensor for Temperature, Humidity and barometric Pressure. Anemometer for windspeed. Wind Vane for wind direction. Tipping-Bucket Rain Gauge. Ultra Violet light sensor for UV Index.

The display shows real-time observations, daily historical data for MAX values which reset at 09:00am daily, and individual reset buttons for manual reset of each value.
Hardware: ESP32

BME280 Sensors (x 6)
Spread throughout the house, garage and yard using the Tabs widget to access them in a single project. The Mobile version Multi-WiFi capability so if you visit somewhere new you can enter the WiFi details through an AP provided by the project. Mobile also has adjustable alarm threshold using the Numeric Input widget, with Push and Email alerts if the threshold is exceeded. I actually used this one at work for about three months, we had an intermittent fault on an Air Conditioner in one of our comms rooms, I used this to be alerted when it failed and the temperature increased, plenty of time to restart before any equipment damage. (FYI the faulty unit has been replaced and the new unit has network monitoring)
Hardware: a mix of WemosD1R2 and WemosMini ESP8266 devices

Washer/Dryer Alarm
This is another one that has real, practical use. Our washing machine and dryer are in the garage. The beep when they finish is not audible in the house, so quite often we would set a wash, then forget about it . . . result musty clothes that need to be washed again. Or load the dryer and forget about it, result wrinkled clothes (if you get clothes when they are warm and hang them up, no wrinkles!)
I used MPU-6050 3-Axis accelerometers fixed to the side of the washer and dryer. The project senses movement and when max/min values are within a certain range (ie no movement) then sends push alerts that the wash or dry is finished.

I incorporated a five minute delay (millis :wink: before sending the alert to allow for brief pauses in the wash or dry cycle. The alerts get sent every five minutes until you turn the unit off - a good incentive to get up and do some work!
Hardware: WemosMini ESP8266

Beer @ Wine
This is my favourite . . . using a couple of old bathroom scales as load cell arrays, through HX-711 load-cell amplifier, I measure the weight of the beer cans and wine bottles in my fridge (my garage workshop fridge, of course!); do a quick calculation based on the known weigh of a can or bottle, then display the current status. There are email and push alerts when I am getting low . . . don’t want to run out!

I also measure the internal fridge temperature with a DS18B20 sensor. This was an interesting calibration exercise . . . the internal air temperature varies quite dramatically, and quite quickly when the door is open, often up to 4-5 degC. After much research I found advice from a refrigeration technician who said that the best way to measure the equivalent of the internal (stable) temperature of liquids was to place a container of salty water in the fridge, place the sensor in the fridge, then let it stabilise for 24hrs. This gives an accurate measure of the liquid temperature, not the air temperature. A calibration factor of sorts. So my displayed temperature is adjusted to show the actual beer and wine temperature - not the surrounding air. I have push alert every 30 seconds if the temperature rises above 7degC - usually the door hasn’t closed properly.

I also display the garage ambient temperature - send to this project via the Bridge widget from the BME280 garage sensor. I also use Bridge to send the Beer Qty, Wine Qty and temperature to an ESP8266 enabled LCD display on the front door of the fridge - why? Because it was my first learning project for Bridge widget :wink:

Also displays Max/Min temperature and the date/time that occurred.

Light Controller
Pretty straightforward this one, four devices to control four separate lights - just switch relay on/off with Button widget. Solid is ON, Outline is OFF.
Hardware: WemosMini ESP8266, hacked Sonoff home controller ESP8266

Watering Flow Rate Controller
Another practical project. Switch on/off drip-watering system for my herb garden. On starts watering for three minutes then switches the water off. Displays the actual flow rate in litres/minute, and the total litres delivered. Very useful through Australia’s hot, dry summers.

PIR Light Controller
Another practical project. Switches on a main fluoro light, plus a high-intensity task light directly above my workbench - but only when I am in the garage. Motion sensation is via Bridge widget from another project. The main light will switch off after 180 mins of no activity (I need to shorten this ;-), the task light after 10 minutes. They all started as separate projects that I slowly incorporated into one.
Hardware: WemosMini ESP8266, hacked Sonoff home controller ESP8266

Heater Relay
Similar to the previous project, relay to activate a heater under my bench, but only when I am present, and only when the temperature is below the set threshold.
Hardware: Hacked Sonoff home controller ESP8266

Garage Door
This was the first Blynk project I made . . . sensor (IR proximity sensor) to check if the garage door was open or closed. Shows the date/time when the last evet occurred. I added the video widget with an IP Cam stream later.

Well, that’s enough light reading . . .enjoy, stay safe and Stay at Home!

cul
billd

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Like your ota tip to change number and your beer and wine set made me laugh.
Cheers phil in sunny Devon uk

Love the video feed to the garage door. I recently made a garage door switch and have yet to put a reed switch in to let me know if its open or closed but stuck a IP cam in for the time being. Ive been switching apps every time i use it to double check its closed. Didn’t think to include it in the app this way!