Any simpler method to implement a timer function in Blynk IOT?

Hi, I’m trying to migrate from Blynk legacy to IOT, but this is proving to be a massive headache than I thought. Perhaps I’m wrong, but this seems to be an awful solution to a simple thing.

Here’s my predicament. I’m trying to recreate my simple 1 relay system I had in Legacy on IOT. In simple terms, it’s just a single relay controlled by an ESP8266. I have a switch button on Blynk legacy, and it works like a charm. I also have a timer in there, where I could just use any pin I like, and give start stop times. It works like clockwork. The ESP8266 sketch has nothing special except the usual ssid, password etc and Blynk.begin, Blynk.run combo.

I’m trying to recreate that in IOT with all the data streams and rubbish, but I can’t get my head around how to do it in a simple manner. Of course there’s a timer input widget in the IOT app, and as far as I can understand, only way to get it to work is if I,

1. Create a separate data stream, other than the switch pin
  2. Send the start stop value to that as a string
  3. Insert code parts into the ESP8266 to do some String manipulation work manually and extract start stop times
  4. From 3, get the start and stop into two variables
  5. Manually add lines into the codes to check if current time corresponds with those variables, and if so, flip the pin

Is this how it’s supposed to be done? Of course that’s possible, but compared to Blynk Legacy, just how ridiculous is that? The simple job of putting a start stop timer needs a code junky to accomplish. That too needs to be hard coded, and any change needs an updated code. (a different pin for example, as if I wanted to control a second relay. In Blynk legacy, that’s as simple as connecting the relay and putting a second switch in the app. In IOT, you probably need ANOTHER data stream created, and do the whole thing again, or create a big function in the code and run that. Then reupdate the sketch to the board once again)

IS THIS REALLY A SOLUTION?? ISN’T THAT AGAINST THE WHOLE POINT OF BLYNK? (i.e. No code alternative to IOT)

We really loved the simple, no nonsense approach of Blynk legacy. Just run the common sketch and do everything with the app itself. Seems like the new IOT is going some lengths to make it much much harder to do the simplest task.

I really hope there is another way, or you guys seriously have a case of shooting yourselves in the foot. I hope you guys somehow enable the previous easy criteria into the new platform as well. If not, you’re going to lose a big chunk of enthusiasts when Blynk legacy shut down.

I don’t think I even have to put the code, phone types, versions etc here, because those are irrelevant. This is about the ridiculous way IOT seems to work.

If you like simplicity, you can try automation which is a no coding solution.

The Time Input widget in IoT is the same as the Time Input widget in Legacy.
The Timer widget in Legacy has been replaced with Automations.

Pete.

You say that, but automations are impossible without being a paid user with an organization tree. If it’s possible, tell me how! I watched many tutorials and read your documentation. When I go into my data streams, there’s no option to expose any of them to automations. Please tell me how to do it as a free user. This is already a huge headache to get such a simple thing done. :unamused::unamused:

This is my entire advanced settings options menu in data streams. Tell me where you see anything called a expose to automations like your documentation says. (by the way, whoever built this contorted rubbish just to get a simple task should have his head checked.)

How the f to do that dude! I’m a free user. I don’t have organization tree to do that. And frankly, anyone who pays for this utter gibberish should go into a mental institution.

That’s not right, even free plan users can use it.

That was before, automation has been moved to a separate tab called “Automations”

Oh really, so let me get this straight. You changed the app and other stuff, and left the documentation as is? That’s some classy act folks. People are trying to switch to IOT ONLY BECAUSE (NO OTHER REASON) YOU FORCED THEM TO, and you have documentation that’s inaccurate to help them. There’s your answer to why this new platform sucks.

Keep rubbishing your followers till a competitor comes in, and you have so many examples from history for what will happen to blynk. :+1:

@Indrajith You are saying this to people who have no connection at all to Blynk, and who don’t write or maintain the documentation.
These people are simply trying to help answer your question, and this is the type of response they get from you. Do you think that is appropriate?
Do you think they will attempt to provide you with assistance in future?

Don’t you think that a much better response would be to thank us for our assistance in helping you to overcome the issue?

Pete.

4 Likes