Admin/Staff/User - sharing access to a device

I have read the doc and I have made several tests but I don’t find how to share the a device (just use, not edit).
I tried “transfer” but so I lost the own of the device and can’t edit it anymore.
I also tried by assigning locations, no more success…

Anyone could explain how to setup this situation : I stay the admin/developer of the device, and one user can use it without edit permission.

(I’m on the free version, perhaps it’s not possible?)

Hello,
After transferring the device, you can still edit the template - under which the device was created, in turn, the user cannot edit the template you created.

Thank you Dimitry.
I did some more tests.

• in User mode, my friend can just see nothing in webpage or app. Even if he’s the owner (after transfering the device). So what use for “User” mode ?
  • in Staff mode, my friend can use the device in webpage and app (not edit). But even if he’s not the owner. So what use for transfer/owner settings ? The problem in that case is that he can see all my projects, not just this device.
  • the edit mode is well disabled for Staff, except the automation settings. Normal?

And also, I don’t find any way to not send the notifications to the 2 accounts…

Hello. What is his email? I’ll check. The Default User role initially had no permissions at all. That’ was done on purpose.

More info here - https://docs.blynk.io/en/blynk.console/devices/device-sharing

Ok thanks.

Whitout own device, a Staff guy view all devices of the organization.
If I transfer a device to the Staff guy, next that he can only view THIS device.

I can’t test that deeper because I don’t receive my 5 free devices. What can I do for that? (already sent a mail to Mariia…)

Hello

As I have no response from my mail to Mariia, and we are near the end of the promo, it’s here my only way to ask when/how I can have my 5 free devices ??

@Alx-I please don’t create new topics about the same question.

Pete.

Yes and no, this topic was about sharing device, so this last question seems lost (moreover I have no response nor by mail neither here)…

If you’ve been having a discussion with a member of the Blynk team in one topic, and you decide to create a new topic to carry-on the last thing that was discussed, then all you are doing is fragmenting that discussion trail.
At the very least, you need to provide a link back to that original topic location, and included quotes in the new topic to establish the continuity of the discussion.

Pete.

I agree with that. Just hope to finally have a solution…

The free devices will be added as soon as we have time to add them. It will happen. Don’t worry. We just have more important things to fix in the first place.

2 Likes

Ok…having spent time looking at the documentation and reading very posts/threads, I would like to understand where this issue resides before upgrading to the PLUS plan.

Like many people who have posted, I would like to share a device with family members. I recognize that you can Invite somebody to use the device. HOWEVER, this feature is pretty useless for someone on the FREE plan because as @Dmitriy points out “The Default User role initially had no permissions at all. That’ was done on purpose.” From what I can tell, this remains the case. As such, the Device never appears in the user’s Blynk app so inviting someone to use the device is pretty meaningless.

Now, I am happy to upgrade to the PLUS plan but what is not clear is if I do upgrade, does the USER role still have no permissions and am I still unable to add or change permissions. If this is the case, does that mean that inviting someone to use a device (or transferring a device to someone) is pretty much useless under the PLUS plan as well because they will not be able to see or use it. I am hoping this is not the case but the documentation is not clear on this point nor are several of the threads I have read on this issue (including this one).

So far I am impressed with Blynk 2.0 and hope to have a commercial device that justifies moving to the PRO or BUSINESS plan at some point in the future…but just not now.

Yes, you need the pro plan to change permissions.

The default permissions for all three roles are the same in all three subscription plans, the only difference is that with the PRO plan you can edit these permission.

Why don’t you give your invited user the “Staff” role? Does this role have too many privileges?

Pete.

Pete,

Thank you for clarifying the Staff role. So I now understand that the User role has no permissions but that the Staff role has sufficient permissions to share the device.

Although I am sure my wife won’t appreciate being referred to as Staff, it does allow her at least to use the device…cheers!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: