About MEGA2560+WiFi R3 setup

Hi everyone.
I am testing the [WEMOS Mega +WiFi R3 ATmega2560+ESP8266] follow the link:

BLYNK ON MEGA+WiFi R3 ATmega2560+ESP8266 - YouTube

and failed at fifth step of ‘MEGA2560+ESP8266’ which Run [esp8266_flasher] – click bin – find Bin file [AiThinker_ESP8266_DIO_8M_8M_]
After download 99% got warning of fail to leave … as picture below. and this resulted the following upload sketch failed.

last step
how to fix it need help please.
Thanks
Adam

This isn’t a Blynk related issue.
I’d suggest you search the internet for solutions to this issue, or look for forums related to this hardware.

Pete.

1 Like

Thank you PeteKnight.
do you have any clue where should go?

I’d suggest using a nodemcu or esp32 instead of this board.

1 Like

Thank you John93.
I used to use Arduino and/or MEGA2560 as a controller, the reason mentioned this board is I need WiFi connection now.
I’ll have to use MEGA2560 and nodemcu or esp32 to get WiFi if this built in WiFi not work.

Unfortunately, the board you’ve chosen is the worst of both worlds. An Arduino + ESP-01 as separate items gives more flexibility, but of course you have to deal with wiring the two together, which is tricky because the ESP-01 has a difficult pinout arrangement.
But, regardless of whether you go for separate modules or the integrated board you have, these system are far inferior to the NodeMCU and ESP32.

The reason is that for the ESP-01 (or whatever ESP8266 device is on your board) to provide WiFi connectivity for the Arduino it has to communicate with the Arduino in a very basic way.
The communication is done by passing AT commands to the ESP, and deciphering the result that is returned. This needs a library to handle this communication, and that library focuses on the primary commands needed to achieve the communication. What you don’t get are all the add-on functions, like WIFi signal strength, simple ability to query IP address and MAC address, access to WiFi connected status etc.
There are some workarounds for these issues, but TBH it’s just not worth the effort.
The NodeMCU and ESP32 work in a totally different way, with the ESP core software providing the integrated WiFi handling.

In addition, these boards have more memory, faster processors and a smaller form factor compared to your board.

This FAQ was written before ESP32s became as cheap and readily available as they are today, but still makes a good comparison between the NodeMCU and Arduino + ESP-01…

Pete.

1 Like

Thank you PeteKnight.
I’ll take in mind.

I had a basic cognition that the Arduino and MEGA2560 kind work as controller that execute independent calculation and control of the entire project. and the ESP kind just carry out relatively single function such like WiFi for other board say MEGA2560. is this true?

Hi, failed to leave is normal. There is no problem. Continue investigate.

Find this my topic, i have already faced same problems.

Also, i have esp8266 bin file, if your bin not going work i can send to you.

No, The ESP boards are capable of doing everything that a Mega can do, and much more besides.
If you read the FAQ I linked to, you’ll see that there are some basic differences, such as the 3.3v logic levels of the ESP boards compared to 5v of the Mega, but this is rarely an issue.
The ESP devices have physically fewer pins that the Mega, but once again this is rarely an issue.

When you use an ESP as a WiFi modem for an Arduino you’re basically using the ESP in crippled mode. Of you use it to its full potential then the Arduino is totally redundant in 99.9% of use cases.

Pete.