A Big Screen of Blynky, Flashy, Colourful LEDs

OK, some of you are aware that while I have been around here for awhile, it has always been with Arduinos and USB link… but thanks to some fellow Blynkers, I have been gifted with some bigger ESPs to actively learn on (all the better to assist others my dear).

So, while not my “first” ESP project, it was one that sorta satisfied my love of blinky LED’s; I was also testing the per-second Blynk.virtualWrite() capacity of a couple of ESP models.

I give to you… the Virtual RGB Matrix

Sorry to those not on Local Server… it is not cheap on the energy, however nothing in it is non-recyclable… 72 LED widgets @ 200 energy means you need 14,400 units of energy to load this in.

This code is compiled on a Wemos D! mini with OTA programming functionality built in… but it basically should work on most any ESP8266.

#define BLYNK_NO_BUILTIN  // Disable built-in analog & digital pin operations
#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
#include <ESP8266mDNS.h>
#include <WiFiUdp.h>
#include <ArduinoOTA.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleEsp8266.h>

char auth[] = "xxxxxxxx";
char ssid[] = "xxxxxxxx";
char pass[] = "xxxxxxxx";
String HEXstring;
int randLED;
int randIntensity;
int rrr;
int ggg;
int bbb;
int RandomTimer;
BlynkTimer timer;

void setup()
{
  ArduinoOTA.begin();
  pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Blynk.begin(auth, ssid, pass, "10.10.3.13", 8442);

RandomTimer = timer.setInterval(100L, RGBMatrix);  // Set this to as low as you can for your network and device... I was able to go as low as 35ms on a ESP32

for (int i = 0; i <= 71; i++) {
    Blynk.setProperty(i, "label", " ");  // Set LED Labels to blank
  }
}

void RGBMatrix()
{
  randLED = random(72);
  randIntensity = random(64, 256);
  rrr = random(256);
  ggg = random(256);
  bbb = random(256);
  String strRED = String(rrr, HEX);  // Convert RED DEC to HEX.
  if (rrr < 16) {
    strRED = String("0" + strRED);  // Buffer with 0 if required.
  }  // END if
  String strGRN = String(ggg, HEX);  // Convert GREEN DEC to HEX.
  if (ggg < 16)  {
    strGRN = String("0" + strGRN);  // Buffer with 0 if required.
  }  // END if
  String strBLU = String(bbb, HEX);  // Convert BLUE DEC to HEX.
  if (bbb < 16)  {
    strBLU = String("0" + strBLU);  // Buffer with 0 if required.
  }  // END if
  String HEXstring = String("#" + strRED + strGRN + strBLU);  // Combine HEX fragments.
  Blynk.setProperty(randLED, "color", HEXstring);  // Set LED Label to HEX colour
  Blynk.virtualWrite(randLED, randIntensity);
}

void loop()
{
  Blynk.run();
  timer.run();
  ArduinoOTA.handle();
}
5 Likes

This has to be the most useless project in existence, but soooooooooooo fun to watch, you just made my day :smiley:

2 Likes

Good thing you run it local :joy:.

1 Like

What ESP’s do you have now ?

(2) Wemos D1 mini clones, (1) Wemos D1 Mini Pro and (1) Wemos Lolin32

The two clones are already going to be used in a tracked rover and upgrading my solar charge monitor. The other two boards will probably stay on the bench for testing and learning… and of course running LED light shows :stuck_out_tongue:

Il be happy to send you some esp8266’s :stuck_out_tongue:

Hah… I forgot to mention my one little lonely ESP-01… everyone could always use a few dozen or so of those :stuck_out_tongue:

Save yer money… you will have plenty of debit from education if you do it right :wink:

1 Like

I don’t live in the US :joy: No debt after college its about 1000€ a year here

1 Like

Me neither. And Self Edumicated, so that makes me Sooper Smrt and debit free… ya right :wink:

Education means nothing. Schools are full with stupid and incompetent people ^^

3 Likes

mhmhmh you should see Sweden. Free education for everyone, we even have student grants of about 280€/month (which you receive for studying.) And an option to take a “students”-loan of about 700€/month with an interest of 2.88%/year (mostly needed if you move out of your parents home).

Basically you get a butt-load of help for studying and our youth rather skips school to party/hang-out than take an advantage of this opportunity. THEN when they grow up they have the audacity to blame others for their own failures (somehow theese type of people tend to blame immigrants).

5 Likes

Getting paid to go to school ? Hah il take it !

I was waiting for 3 years for this project to be made by someone :slight_smile:

:champagne:

4 Likes