Which firmware for stand-alone esp projects?

Hi everyone;

I am playing around bunch of esp8266 these days. I made several projects with blynk. Some of my project have stability issues. I wonder that it is related with the firmware of ESPs?(i have proper power source for esp btw)

So which firmware i should use for my esp to work with blynk libraries?

Which ESP do you have? When you load a sketch via the Arduino IDE, you are basically over writing the current firmware with your new sketch. So the firmware version is what ever you have loaded in your IDE. Check Board manager for updates etc.

If you have an ESP-01, and want to use it as a SoftSerial connection on an UNO then im not sure what the best AT firmware is.

But just don’t do it… get yourself a $4 WeMos D1 Mini and you won’t have any issues.

“Plug and Play Blynk Hardware” we call it.

In my current project i am using esp-12 and esp-07. Both have stability problem. So if we are using stand alone esp, when we upload sketch it overwrite the firmware?

You are right about wemos but i already have esp module i want to use them.

So they’re not on a dev board like these?

@Jamin I am using exactly these dev boards

i always flash my ESP-12’s with the NodeMCU firmware before uploading any sketches via the Arduino IDE…

but maybe i am wasting my time if what @Jamin states is true…

It’s true, AT firmware or any other firmware is overwritten when you flash an “Arduino” sketch i.e. the Arduino sketch is the firmware.

1 Like

Great, that’s good to know! I started out using LUA coding then moved to Arduino… I now have one less step to ESP bliss now :slight_smile:

1 Like