When will be Blynk available for PIC micro controller or how can we use the current interface for PIC

I want to create an IOT project based on PIC micro controller and not the Arduino board. Is it possible to use the current interface with PIC?

Seems that it’s pretty rare hardware. We don’t have plans for this platform…
@vshymanskyy, please confirm

Not rare at all. Just not as magazine/maker popular. Venerable rock solid devices though.

And way off topic, but this is mildly related.

Absolutely @kolalde ! PIC is a great micro controller. With all the libraries associated with the Arduino, it is an extremely slow platform. @Pavel I would request you to take a step ahead and expand this interface and make it PIC compatible.

Blynk library is written in C++ and is very easy to port. However:

• we don’t have any experience with PIC
  • we really don’t know what Internet connection methods it PICs can support (any available libraries?)
  • while it is used for production, PIC is currently not very widespread among makers

If there’s someone willing to develop PIC families, I would be glad to guide with porting.
Thanks!

Although not as popular as arduino, PIC is actually fairly popular with Makers. They were late to the maker game (having been mostly a commercial player). But there are now several well known colleges that are now building their programs around the PIC32 processor (Northwestern and Cornell come to mind). And many projects appear in maker magazines using PICs. Plus, Microchip sells over a Billion (with a B) PIC microcontrollers per year, so there is a huge population of programmers that are familiar with programming PICs. They may not be the maker’s first choice, but they are a large market.

I have a project that I would like to use Blynk with a PIC32 processor. I would be happy to take a shot at making it work. Is all the source code that I would need to port available in the GitHub repository? Or is there other library code you would have to supply?

Mark

@vshymanskyy, please point in the right direction

Yes, the Github code repository is complete. There’s some docs on the repo to help you getting started: https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-library/tree/master/docs

I would also love to be able to use Blynk with my pic projects. I just bought the Sparkfun Blynk Board. I would like to connect it to the UART on my pic so I could read and write to Blynk. Maybe there is a way to do this now that I don’t know about, I am new to Blynk.

Yay! I was able to run Blynk on chipKIT Uno32.
Here is an example: https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-library/blob/master/examples/BoardsAndShields/chipKIT_Uno32/chipKIT_Uno32.ino

This requires the chipKit core: http://chipkit.net/started/install-chipkit-software/

1 Like

links not working (:unamused:

It has been moved to: https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-library/tree/master/examples/Boards_USB_Serial

Seriously, it’s one of the most popular microcontroller platforms out there and it has been for over two decades. I was looking with my mouth open at your statement.
Take a look at Flowcode from www.matrixtsl.com, i personally would love to see it supported on flowcode’s platform. There is also Mikroe and many many other compilers and software.
PIC’s in general are more flexible than the arduino system and you don’t have to rely on EDIT boards from the Far East for your project.

I don’t understand what holds you back from taking our open-source library implementation and adjusting it (porting) to meet your needs.

2 Likes

Me personally? Time only. But i will look into it when i get more time :slight_smile:
I’m also waiting for the flowcode guys to port it. The more devices blynk is compatible the better for all of us.

@leosedf from the url you provided:

With customers in more than 50 countries, and software in more than 20 languages, we are regarded as a premier global supplier of products for education and development.

But there Google translator is broken!!!

I’ll stick with ESP’s from the Far East.

@Costas, flowcode isn’t restricted on their hardware, you can use anything you want, even arduino boards.

I was put right off their products when you started with your racist comments.

So… what do you expect from others? :wink:
I see several options:

1. To become our business customer so we develop it for you
  2. To wait someone else to contribute (develop it and share with us)
  3. To develop it yourself.
1 Like