Blynk Joystick widget for Quadcopter control

Hi,

From watching your introduction I noticed Blynk has drone(quadcopter) control feature. I would like use that feature. Any suggestion? Where should I start?

1 Like

Is any technical specifications or details available yet? :smile:

@DBear
Joystick widget is in progress currently. So I believe you’ll be able to do that soon. We are currently providing internet communication only, which I think might limit drone’s capabilities. But you can still build an architecture like:
Smartphone - internet - arduino - radio - drone

1 Like

I see @Pavel . Does Blynk work in a local network without internet connection?

Yes, it does. Just install local server, and you are good to go.

@DBear
You also asked me about an interface via email. Could you tell us what would you like to see?

@Pavel,
UI design, its’ look of joysticks and buttons, their positions whether more button could be added etc. From sending button/joystick data, how does it send? What will be format?

Currently our quadcopter receives joystick inputs via UDP, left and right joystick positions will be send in sequencial 4 packets. In simple char figure:

| Smartphone | --> (WiFI AP) <–> (Our drone)

You can add widgets in the app and arrange them in any way. This is one of the Blynk powers :wink:

We use TCP/IP for connection. The average size of 1 packet is ~14bytes.
You can take a look on our libraries and server code here: https://github.com/blynkkk

2 Likes

Indeed, we could do UDP, when finish other high priority tasks like all widgets =). And anyway it will still require server.

Regarding message size it is indeed ~10 bytes + TCP/IP header itself 40 bytes, so ~50 bytes in total for average hardware command.

2 Likes

Hey guys, did you manage to pull this off?
Im trying to find a way to connect smartphone to AP(esp8266) to control GPIO without using internet/router… I guess you guys are trying the same thing?

1 Like

Hey guys, Anybody here was able to fly his quadcopter through Blynk. I am working on it and would like to know how that works.