Wifi connection issue

I have an issue with wifi connectivity, I don’t believe it to be a code issue because of the following;

1. Project works 100% at site “A”

• Site “A” send data from MKR 1010 to router via wifi then from router to modem via Ethernet cable. Works great!
  2. At site"B" there is no connection at all from MKR 1010 to router, serial display just shows “trying to connect to …”

• Site “B” has the exact same setup MKR 1010 to router to modem. However they are different brands from Site “A”

All login information and passwords are confirmed correct.
The MKR 1010 is the same board, just moved it from location to location
Site “B” router is confirmed working
Router moved from Site “A” to Site “B” with the same result

SO the question is… Is there some communication protocol that I should be looking at within the modem at Site “B”???

Is your MKR 1010’s IP address is set via DHCP?
Have you tried resetting Router B to factory defaults?

Pete.

I’ll try the factory reset on router B, as for the 1010 I do not know is there a sketch that will allow me to check?

Jim

You’d know if you’d written the sketch to use a specific IP address for the device.

Pete.

Pete,
yes, that is true and incredibly unhelpful. Turns out the issue was with special character in the router password. Just a word, us newbies come here to learn, telling us how you would have done it rather than addressing the actual issue is frustrating. I just read thread where a gentleman, who by the way sounds very knowledgeable on coding. He commented that he cleaned up the loop, your comment was that it “doesn’t look very clean to me” something to that effect. Had you made that comment to me, I would have known what I missed or how to fix it, just that I failed. Maybe, something like “hey looks good, could I suggest replacing that with this or removing this?” Im sure you view it as doing the work for us but that is not how people learn… just a suggestion.

jim

Jim, thanks for your feedback - it will be used appropriately.

I’ll give you a few bits of feedback/clarification of mu own - do with it what you will…

If you do a bit of research then you’ll realise how true this statement is, but the question about static or DHCP assigned IP address was asked for my benefit, to help me narrow-down the issue and provide advice to try to steer you towards a solution.
Question - Static IP or DHCP?
Answer - User doesn’t know, therefore answer = DHCP, so explore DHCP decision tree when user gets back after doing factory reset of Router B.

Trying to help people diagnose internal networking issues is so incredibly difficult that really they are on their own most of the time, but as many of us have been there and done that ourselves we do have some pointers that can usually help people in the right direction. Of course none of this is Blynk related, but your alternative is to go and start asking questions on a networking forum where you’re likely to get short shrift from the corporate network engineers.
Anyway, i’m glad you were able to resolve the issue yourself in the end.

I vaguely remember this topic, but a quick search didn’t find it.
I think that if you go back and find the topic you’ll see that one of the other regulars had pointed the user towards the “Keep your void loop clean” document, or the same user had been linked to this document in one of their other topics.
When they’ve been told what the problem is, been shown how to fix it, and come back with cluttered void loop and say “Ta Da!, I’ve cleaned-up my loop” then I think a response of “It doesn’t look very clean to me” is a) wholly appropriate; and b) all they need to know to get them to do back to the reference document and try again.

I don’t tend to do major re-writes to other people’s code, because I simply don’t have the time or the inclination. I will signpost them to the correct place(s) to help them to find the resources that will help them on their way - although quite a few new members to the forum aren’t really that interested in learning how to solve their problems, they just want to be handed the solution on a plate.

Stay safe!

Pete.

1 Like