When will broken iOS project sharing be fixed?

As far as I can tell it is still impossible to share an app with iOS unless the recipient has two devices handy- one to display the QR code and the second to scan it. While I’m sure Apple loves this method of sharing, the rest of us do not :wink:

Dmitriy promised to add a URL option for iOS back in Oct 2016…

What is the ETA will this be fixed?

Thanks!

A) If close by, the recipient simply uses their phone and App to scan the QR from your project (displayed in your App, on your phone)

B) If not close by, just send it to their email address… From my iPhone 4s, I just successfully sent a share request to my email address, which I opened on a computer (surly the recipient has one of those availed?) and scanned the QR with another phone.

I am using Local Server

Perhaps more details on what exact steps you are taking and having issues with?
Server type, App version, etc?

PS, I just tested and the exact same process works with Android… there is no URL to the project (at least with Local Server), just the QR… so this is actually not an iOS specific thing.

According to this thread, sharing the QR by email generates a URL on Android. I don’t have an android nearby to verify that, but in that thread it was promised back in 2016 that we would get URLs for iOS.

The whole QR code thing is terribly burdensome and unnecessary; generally it is implemented to simplify the user experience, in this case it is quite the opposite; we should just be given a text string that we can email or sms to someone.

One should not assume that all users will have both a smartphone and a computer- more and more people don’t even own desktops anymore. Millions of millennials use their smartphone as their sole internet connected device. Regardless, its not reasonable to assume that every user will be at home or near a computer at all times when they might want to use the app.

I appreciate you checking that for me however :slight_smile:

Yes… three years have passed and changes happen :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Something about the sizes of the projects or whatever required changes to how the QR system works for both iOS and Android… Thus no more URLs are available for either it seems.

Perhaps something different will happen in Blynk 2.0… whenever that appears :hourglass:

Blynk is an IoT system… and this is the development side which DOES assume some degree of computer hookups and tech savvy for the hardware, programming and so on.

You can use Blynk with just a phone in the middle of a parking lot if you so wish… once you have set it all up.

Your issue is with sharing, which reportedly was meant only as a short term demo of something to someone else as the project is being developed (without giving them full access to all the workings).

Again, time has passed and things are a changin… as to whether this issue gets “fixed” or replaced is yet to be determined.

It would appear that when I try to use the QR button when logged in it gives an error saying that this is a sharing token and I must be logged out to scan it. However when I scan the QR when logged out it does not retain the code.

How would one share a project so that another user can access it multiple times? For example a wife or roomate who both want to control a light switch?

Since this is closely related to your initial topic subject, I merged it back into this topic.

This is the normal way sharing works… as it was meant to be for demo purposes, the sharee can ONLY see the project when the sharer has it actively running on the host account. And as long as they do not cancel out of the App (minimised is OK), it will start up as the host project starts up.

A recent topic came up with similar issue.

Probably a better way than project sharing, is have the other user setup an account, then you can create for them a simple interface that controls the “thing” you want them too, on your host project/device, via Blynk Bridge.

Depending on the complexity of the interface you want to give them, they may or may not need a hardware device dedicated to your coding of such interface… or if just simple, webhooks and “simulated” hardware will also work.

Read more here if you chose, but please create a new topic of your own if you make somthing of your own and require assistance.

And if you want to keep it simple, and it is for family or someone you trust to NOT mess with it… just log them in with your account and they would have full simultaneous control as you do. Just teach them what NOT to touch… AKA the edit button :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes that makes sense. Nobody would intentionally make it that difficult to share unless they didn’t actually want people to share, lol.

Thank you for the explanation. I will read about the bridge right now.

At first glance Blynk appears to be geared towards makers- using Arduinos and Espressifs and whatnot- but then they want us to pay a $200 monthly subscription to publish a single app… Is there no way to publish an app for personal or family use, that has a reasonable one-time charge?

Yeah unfortunately the target users for whom I am building the device are elderly and not good with technology. I definitely could not trust them with full privileges :wink:

This whole “Going all commercial” thing is relatively new, and we ‘unwitting’ beta testers… er… regulars :stuck_out_tongue: don’t know much more than you do :smiley: But supposedly there are some smaller business/family plans proposed in the future???

Again, only time will tell.

Yeah I hope so. It costs $99 last I checked to make your own app in the app store. Android is considerably less. Most people who can build an IoT device from scratch should also be able to make a simple app, so it would be awesome if they could keep Blynk affordable to makers as well as corporations.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Oh, it is already dirt cheap… you just don’t get all the polished conveniences of a “commercial” grade App, like sharing only certain parts with other people (well, without some tricky coding and alternative “maker” methods).

The developers do have to eat (apparently), so they are due their value for making or assisting with polished commercial or semi-commercial projects for non-techy, non-maker, end users.

Feel free to open another “Help with…” topic if you do start down that alternative “maker” method path of “sudo sharing”.

1 Like