What's up with the documentation?

I am working on my first Blynk project and trying to find documentation of the features. Very specifically I was trying to make a button in Blynk turn the LED on/off on my Sparkfun ESP8266.

So I go here:
http://docs.blynk.cc/#widgets-controllers-button

and it references the sketch @ https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-library/blob/master/examples/GettingStarted/BlynkBlink/BlynkBlink.ino

There are several other items that reference the same sketch. Button, Slider, Value Displays, Gauge, and Graph.

I’m no expert at programming Arduino, but looking at the code in the sketch I cannot see how this sketch does anything. What am I missing?

For the lazy, this is the sketch:

#define BLYNK_PRINT Serial // Enables Serial Monitor
#include <SPI.h>
#include <Ethernet.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleEthernet.h> // This part is for Ethernet stuff

char auth[] = "YourAuthToken"; // Put your Auth Token here. (see Step 3 above)

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600); // See the connection status in Serial Monitor
  Blynk.begin(auth);  // Here your Arduino connects to the Blynk Cloud.
}

void loop()
{
  Blynk.run(); // All the Blynk Magic happens here...

// You can inject your own code or combine it with other sketches.
  // Check other examples on how to communicate with Blynk. Remember
  // to avoid delay() function!
}

Nothing. This is it. It will connect to the Cloud server and you can control all your Pins from your dashboard. Nothing else is needed for basic control of Pins.

The Blynk app and the Blynk server performs the magic so you don’t have to.

1 Like

I posted the same question on github, and this is the response I was given is below.

It doesnt make much sense to have documentation about a button (among a few other items) and then use a sketch that is blank and doesn’t do anything with those items. I get that I could add a slider in blynk and use virtual pins to change a virtual display inside blynk but this does zero interaction with the actual hardware.

For what it’s worth the example sketch says

1. Add a Button Widget. Select Pin D9 in Widget’s Settings
  2. Press Play icon. Enjoy Blynking!"

What am I going to be blinking? D9 is not specified anywhere in the sketch other than the comments. So something is either incorrect here or needs to be improved. IE, How does this make ANY sense when you’re trying to figure out how to use a slider? No code examples, no use cases, and as mentioned, the sketch doesn’t seem to be relevant at all.

They just refactored all the examples to autobuild according to commits, I guess these are now borked or at least the links need to be reworked.

You can try the examples for eg. buttons
https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-library/blob/master/examples/Widgets/PushNotification/PushNotification.ino

um, i think in this context “Blynking” refers to the act of using “Blynk”

much like “sawing” refers to the action of using a “saw”?

the pure simplicity of the situation.

took me a while for the penny to drop…

Look at it from a beginners point of view, if you’re trying to figure out how to do something with the slider widget, how does the example sketch help?

@LVLAaron getting started documentation says :

The most important parameter to set is PIN . The list of pins reflects physical pins defined by your hardware. If your LED is connected to Digital Pin 8 - then select D8 (D - stands for Digital).

From my point of view it is pretty clear. You create button, set physical LED on pin 8, upload sketch, run, blink led! So this is how beginner supposed to start Blynking. Same applies for widgets you mentioned. Analog/digital commands doesn’t require any code to be written, so that’s why sketches are same for widgets.

What should be changed here from your point of view? How examples should look like for button? For slider?

1 Like

I’m a beginner too. My thoughts are, the documentation is OK but for a beginner it can be a bit hard because it assumes you already have some knowledge. The savior however is the community. This forum is very positive, friendly and helpful. If you have questions or need help getting started, just ask here and you WILL get helpful responses.

It can be a steep learning curve, and you have to be prepared to do some reading and experimenting, but the Blynk APP and server are by far the best interface for IOT.

1 Like