Virtual Cloud Ram

A way to store and be able to retrieve data from a virtual cloud with Blynk could be cool. You could avoid external hardware in a lot of cases with such a feature !

1 Like

Could you please provide some use cases? I didn’t get what you mean.

for example, my current project is a fuel level monitor for a boiler. I have a level variable that stores the current level. if my board resets , I’m loosing the data. On Arduino you can use some EEPROM to store periodically some variables. But not on Photon and some other boards. You could use some external SPI/I2C FRAMe / EEPROM . But that’s the point . If you have a virtual saved RAM in the cloud , that you can access for example with a simple array index with read/write access , yun don’t need external hardware. Ii think it could be a really cool feature for a lot of cases, with less than one read/write by minute.

We have that widget already (but for Android only for now) it is called History Graph. For iOS it will be added after terminal and LCD.

You can read back previously stored data from arduino ? Oo

Yeap. Any command you send from hardware to server is logged and could be viewed. For now we have only 1 widget history graph but later we will add more and more =).

I 'm not sure if we’re talking about the same thing :smile:

What I’m talking about is to write data X content to the blynk server at address Y (from an array point of view)
and days later , be able to retrieve it from Arduino by sending a command to the server : Read address Y, and get data X .

Oh, ok. That’s interesting. Indeed you’re first person, who proposed that. Thanks for idea!

So , not really a widget, more like an integrated feature of the server I guess . It coulbe a space shared by several nodes running Blynk to exchange some data easily

How about Distributed Hash Table? )))

How big storage size is required for your use case? What type of requests are needed? key-value is enough?

I guess an small EEPROM like 1KB to 8KB size would be nice . Usually , in such cases , you’re using eeprom to store important info , not so often as you manage it too in the ram of the device.
For the access , an byte array like access would be perfect.
So if you’re reading a byte at address X , you can have an api to read int at X and X+1 , and long/float at X, X+1,X+2,X+3 as in a real memory area.

You can see it as a mini - nas storage for embedded boards :slight_smile:

1 Like