Trigger relay specific times of day

Hello,

I’m using a WeMos D1 mini and I want to trigger a simple relay for 5 seconds at specific times during the day. I’m using an iPhone so no Eventor.

I tried many options but nothing works. Timer only manages to awkwardly turn the relay on and that’s not even reliable. Any suggestions?

You can use Time Input without a stop time and tell the hardware to run for 5 seconds.

How can I tell the hardware to run for 5 sec?

Wemos has millis() function that counts milliseconds.
something like:

when relay is on;
Timetocount = millis();
If (millis()-timetocount>5000) do something

Not sure what you mean by this. I use the timer widget to trigger relays with no problem.

I’m using the standalone example. On the App I’m using Timer from an specific time to 5 secs later. It only turns the port high and doesn’t change back to low.

I would use virtual pins, and instead of tying to manipulate the relay directly I would use code.

For example:

BLYNK_WRITE(V5)
{   
int value = param.asInt(); // Get value as integer

if (value == 1)
  {
   digitalWrite(pin, LOW);
   timer.setTimeout(5000L, []() {  // Run every 5 second
   digitalWrite(pin, HIGH);
   Blynk.virtualWrite(V5, LOW);
     });  // END Timer Function
  }
}

Hey, that looks promising. I’m unfamiliar with virtual pins, so if I turn V5 on with a Timer it will shut off after 5000?.. Interesting, will try that.

You will have to add some more stuff to your code beside what I posted. I would take a look at the DOCS and familiarize yourself with timers and such.

Hi @Toro_Blanco ,
What does this line do when V5 is associated to a push button to turn on/off a relay? Is it there to satisfy the Lambda expression? I noticed that the code works without it. Thx

In this particular case where it is being triggered by the timer it may not be absolutley necessary, same for a button widget that has its mode set as push.

I put it in there to make V5 return to the Off/LOW state. If the button widget is set as a switch, it will return the button to the Off/LOW state.

For example, say you had a button widget linked to V5, mode set to switch. When you pressed the button it would go On/HIGH and stay that way for 5 seconds, indicating that whatever task it is doing is on. It will then return to its Off/LOW state after the 5 seconds have passed indicating that the process is over.

It is probably more for the visual aspect than anything, but I use it none the less.

Although, I can also picture a case where if using this line of code below (which I do often use) without the Blynk.virtualWrite(V5, LOW);, you may get a false trigger on startup as V5 will always be On/HIGH.

BLYNK_CONNECTED() {
Blynk.syncVirtual(V5);
}

For some reason I’m getting the error “a function-definition is not allowed here before ‘{’ token”…

#define BLYNK_PRINT Serial

#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleEsp8266.h>

// You should get Auth Token in the Blynk App.
// Go to the Project Settings (nut icon).
char auth[] = “*”;

// Your WiFi credentials.
// Set password to “” for open networks.
char ssid[] = “";
char pass[] = "
”;

void setup()
{
// Debug console
Serial.begin(9600);

Blynk.begin(auth, ssid, pass);

BLYNK_WRITE(V5)

{int pinValue= param.asInt();
if (pinValue == 1)
{
digitalWrite(D4, LOW);
timer.setTimeout(5000L, {
digitalWrite(D4, HIGH);
}); // END Timer Function
}
}
}

void loop()
{
Blynk.run();
}

I’m looking at this on my iPad, so it’s difficult to follow the code, but I think you need to sort out your curly brackets.
Your void setup needs a closing curly bracket before the BLYNK_WRITE(V5) function begins.
And this looks all wrong…

Pete.

Ok, so I rewrote it like this, but now I get “‘timer’ was not declared in this scope”

#define BLYNK_PRINT Serial
#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleEsp8266.h>

char auth[] = "*";
char ssid[] = "*";
char pass[] = "*";

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);

Blynk.begin(auth, ssid, pass);
}
int pinValue;
BLYNK_WRITE(V5)
  {pinValue = param.asInt();
   if (pinValue == 1){
   digitalWrite(D4, LOW);
   timer.setTimeout(5000L, []() { 
   digitalWrite(D4, HIGH);
     }); 
  } } 
void loop()
{
   Blynk.run();

}

I don’t understand your question.

Pete.

Sorry, I was asking how to post my code so it would appear formatted instead of regular text.

Blynk - FTFC

This is a standalone lambda function… you have it included inside another Blynk function… and it assumes you have properly declared BlynkTimer

Ok, I did forget to run BkynkTimer… Now the code loads ok, but the timer doesn’t work. V5 is stuck on high.

Did you also include timer.run() in the void loop() … and I am still unsure of the Lambda inside another function. But it might work?