Templates and Devices - Feature or Bug?

HI,

Blynk2 .0 Templates are excellent to quickly setup many similar devices (eg temperature sensors) - Create a single detailed template, then add multiple individual devices based on that template. If you need to change something later you can update the template and apply the change to all devices.

So far, so good, but . . .

If I change a behaviour/setting on a single device (eg change the scale on a chart to better reflect the values for an individual device) - then this change is also reflected in all devices that are based on the same template - doesn’t make sense.

Changes should flow down from template to all devices - but we should still have the ability to make individual device changes without changing all the other similar (not identical) devices.

My example: I have two devices that measure XYZ coordinates to sense motion of a washing machine and a dryer. When the cycle has stopped an alert (event) is generated and push notification to our phones to check the machine.

I monitor motion on the device with a superchart widget - but due to the orientation of the sensors, the washer mostly operates in the range 200-300 (raw numbers); and the dryer in the range 0-150.

I want to keep all other parameters the same, but change the scale on the chart on each device to better reflect the data. But if I change the scale on one device it also changes the scale on the other device - as if it is actually changing the template - is this correct?

Is this a feature? A bug? Am I doing something wrong?

thnx
billd

Hello,

Yes, this is correct. Create another template, and from the new template, create a device.

Regards

Thnx, but that doesn’t make sense to me, If you need a new template for every single minor change, on every device, then why bother with templates at all - just create devices each time - or have the ability to COPY an existing device as a basis to start a new device development.

Templates should work from the top down - create a template then each device based on that should be able to be modified without affecting all other device/template types.

The template would however still enable the owner to make changes to all devices if needed, but users/admins could also change individual devices.

cul
billd

You can copy templates. And edit them however you like. And create devices from copied templates

Regards

1 Like

You can plot both on the same superchart (assuming you aren’t using the free subscription) and have different min/max values for the datasteams of each appliance.

Pete.

1 Like

Thnx Pete, unfortunately both sensors are on different devices, based on the same template . . . so we are back to the need to have separate templates, or send data from one device to another . . .

All good now, after these discussions and diving into Blynk IoT I now see that Blynk IoT is aimed at developers who aim for a single app (template) to control/deploy multiple thousands of devices to clients - this template model makes perfect sense.

Blynk IoT is NOT aimed at makers who essentially have multiple different projects (templates/devices) with no need to scale.

Blynk Legacy was more more maker friendly, Blynk IoT not so much - but doesn’t need to be - that’s not their game - just a bonus for us.

This video sums up the philosophy (and most makers frustrations).

All good now,

billd

2 Likes

Hi @Oleksii-QA ,

Thnx! This is the perfect scenario for me! I’ll create a 'base" template for all similar devices, then duplicate it (just saw that button in the templates page) and modify it slightly for each use-case device.

Perfect.

Thnx
billd

HI @PeteKnight , I like the superchart, I use it a lot with multiple data streams. My issue here is that the motion sensors for the washer and the dryer (separate machines) and connected to separate devices . . . most things for me keep coming back to not having the bridge widget available.

I’ll investigate automation processes over the next few days, maybe that is the solution?

billd

Yes, Automations or the HTTP(S) API to simulate Bridge if you’re using an ESP8266 or ESP32.
Or maybe it’s time to bite the bullet and go full Node-Red?

Pete.

Hi @PeteKnight, all sorted now - spent a bit of time this morning getting to know how Automations work. Pretty straightforward once you get your head around the concept, easy to setup via the web console.

cul
billd

1 Like