Support for multiple devices

I think this is good idea that with One device we can control a lot of OUTPUTs with 1 PIN, if I understand correctly.

With 1 device using just 1pin control lights, relays and others stuffs…

What I would like to.
If I have multiple identical devices on the same object, I would like to switch between them using the menu. Each of the devices when they are installed on object using the menu gets its own number (ID). In operation, with the menu the user gets access to any of the installed devices.

I was kind of busy with other things, but anyway.

It looks like a good idea. A concept of creating different group-types of things to control. I can imagine it’s very handy for sensors, as @Dave1829 suggested. It can probably be useful in other settings too.

It does sound very complicated, so you guys need to come up with a way to make it accessible for users, but I’m sure I can leave that in your capable hands :slight_smile:

1 Like

hi, it is great that if you do not need to use it, you won t see any changes.

if i may offer a suggestion, for grouping, instead of adding tags and what not, why not use something you already have and people are already used to it. namely Virtual PINS.

Have a menu where you can assign multiple pins and virtual pins to another virtual pin and then you have virtual groups, you can control all at once.

still trying to wrap my head around this…
cheers

/edit: aggregate functions could also be applied on the virtual group pin.
/more edit: if i upload the same code to multiple devices, and can add multiple tokens in the app on a single project, assuming I still need to give a different tag to each of the different devices, there isn t much difference for me if i add a tag or a different token
/even more edit:
your use cases:

1. turn off all lights: add all light pins or virtual pins to a virtual pin group. add VPG to button, control all at once, PROFIT
  2. show values from multiple tokens: add all tokes to project (maybe allow naming a token for ease of use), when selecting pin, virtual pin, allow selecting of device/token/name of token as well in the spinner
  3. aggregation: as i mentioned above, it could be per virtual pin group. maybe similar to eventor, when you define a group, you can add a function to it, then output would be min/max/sum of all the pins assigned to the group

think we all are Alex.

1 Like

This is exactly what I have been waiting for. It’s perfect for my scenario. I have customers who want multiple devices, but all the devices do the same thing. They just need many of them in different locations on different equipment. Instead of sharing tokens between all of the devices and having to change all the pins from device to device, I can use the same code on all devices

i think this is similar to MQTT and how it is applied .

this will be very easy as for now i have to automate this using Virtual pins and node-red (node red make it easier to change any time without re-flash or OTA)

small question ?? if i use this i will have one dashboard with multiple hardware with different tokens , when i run the dashboard. am i getting the connectivity status of every hardware ?

but over all you guys make it more powerful and easy in same time. :grinning:

Very good question. We will have status of all hardware. So we can distinguish by tags.

Nice idea, any news?

Not so fast :slight_smile:.

Ok. All suggestions considered. Thank you all for comments. Today I’m starting work on multi devices feature. We will go for now with minimum implementation. The idea is very basic now :

When you create new project you have ability to assign multiple hardware to one project and thus - have multiple tokens if needed. If you have > 1 hardware you can assign specific hardware to any widget. Simple as that.

4 Likes

Cool![quote=“Dmitriy, post:32, topic:8587”]
When you create new project you have ability to assign multiple hardware to one project and thus - have multiple tokens if needed. If you have > 1 hardware you can assign specific hardware to any widget. Simple as that.
[/quote]

This is much easier to understand!

Also will be very handy to me! :smiley:

What if you want to have multiple devices each with different ownership? For example, I want to create an IoT device that I can sell. To take your example, a lights controller that turns on/off one or more lights. But the person who buys from me, has control only. In other words, someone buys the hardware from me and downloads the app, then connects his lights to my hardware. Does my app needs a different auth-token for each piece of hardware sold?

Also, what if it is shared (synchronously or non-synchronously)? For example an electronic lock for an AirBnB home (like August)? The passwords should be able to be changed with each new user. Is this at all possible with Blynk? How?

This is a real world application I am working on.

No. We have a provisioning for that. See for real world example.

Not sure. I need some real case user scenario to answer that.

Thanx! That looks interesting. Is the source for that available somewhere?

Provided that earlier, but let me elaborate.

As you may know you can rent your place (or a part of it) to people on AirBnB - sort of like a hotel room. Imagine you have rented your home and you provide access to that person through a Blynk App which can unlock your door (using an electronic lock like August). You give access for the two days that person is using your home. Now that first renter leaves and a few days later, a new person rents your flat. You want this new renter to download the same App and allow them to unlock the door (but you want to block the old code for the first renter).

Now in this example, the App is the same, and therefore the token is the same for both the first renter and new/second renter. How can I prevent the first person from unlocking the door?

Hope that clarifies what I was saying earlier.

Hi,

Blynk has 2 major options:
SaaS solution - create a project in the Blynk mobile app builder and export it into a standalone app. You can check out plans are here
Custom apps - customize the existing SaaS solution or create new app from scratch.

What you are asking for is a custom feature request and if you are working on a commercial project - we’d be glad to develop this functionality for your app. Please contact us at iot@blynk.cc

Not yet commercial - I am trying to startup but want to first build the product. Not sure I can afford custom development? Still, I’ll email you…

By the way - AirBNB is a great example. For the prototype you can use app sharing and refresh the QR code every time you have a new guest

@agupte app sharing is exactly what you need. You can generate QR code for every new person. After new QR generated old one is not valid anymore so any person that had access to doors previously will no longer have access to it.

Okay thanx for the app sharing tip. I’ll try that (It will take me a while since I am new to Blynk and also to Arduino). So as I understand it, I can do all that I have described using app sharing and some modified version of the myPlant example?

To take the AirBnB example again, I can (with current functionality)

1. Create a lock like August lock which can be unlocked with a Blynk-made app (assuming the lock is controlled by Arduino)
  2. Have the owner download my Blynk-made app and customize it to their lock. Each owner has the same app (some modified version of the myPlant example) but it only works for their lock.
  3. Owners can set and change the password (QR Code?) for their lock as needed.
  4. Users download the Blynk-made app and get access to unlock only the lock associated with their ID.

Is my understanding correct?
Thank you for your time and for your detailed and thoughtful answers.